cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small George Foreman Grill on Inverter

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got one of these as a gift to use in MH but dubious about electrical draw off-grid to cook something. Anybody have any experience with these? (This is about battery draw, but also cooking times, to get expected AH, so not in cooking forum.)

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/george-foreman-2-serving-classic-plate-electric-indoor-grill-and-panini...

So far, I put it on inverter in MH, Kill-A-Watt, and Trimetric to show what it does, not cooking anything.

Before voltage 117.8, after starting the grill got:
116v, 5.78a, 670w, PF 1.0, and DC draw 65 amps.

Took about two minutes to heat up, light went out and amps dropped to 1.8a draw. Sat like that for a while then light came back on, amps back to 65 amps. Only stayed on briefly, then back off for a time, repeating. Most of the time it was off between short hits of power.

After approx. 10 minutes AH 4.64. I watched a couple of youttubes and they said more like 15 minutes being typical to cook something.

So it cycles but might act different (more time power on?) with food in it? Anybody know what to expect there?

BTW, it has that grease drip tray, but then what to do with the grease/water in that while RVing? I am thinking have an empty jam bottle (with a lid) to pour it in, and then when that fills up, put the bottle in the garbage?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
10 REPLIES 10

MrWizard
Grilled ham & cheese sandwiches ?
(2) pork chops , now at 14 minutes
Dare not, to forget the DW

Took 16 minutes to cook 3 yams on the mw this evening

3 minutes to MW warm up a plate of sliced ham, so three of us could have dinner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The youtubes show the main use is for fun recipes that you do over time by doing the various components in succession and mix them at the end for whatever the meal is supposed to be.

Unfortunately, that makes for a long time drawing power, which is no problem with shore power, but is a problem for off-grid.

The best time to use this for the fun recipes off-grid is summer, when you have lots of solar. BUT that is when you least need this gadget, since you already can do all that by other means.

That leaves winter with no solar, and a simple one-shot recipe when you don't want to use the frying pan on the stove for cooking whatever is in the GF. Use the GF for one thing and the frying pan for another thing.

Need a brain adjustment for our approach to meals! Old fogies.
Not had much use for those fun recipes up till now. Eat what's in front of you is more like it. Oh well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Photo in Profile

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Got one of these as a gift to use in MH but dubious about electrical draw off-grid to cook something. Anybody have any experience with these? (This is about battery draw, but also cooking times, to get expected AH, so not in cooking forum.)

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/george-foreman-2-serving-classic-plate-electric-indoor-grill-and-panini...

So far, I put it on inverter in MH, Kill-A-Watt, and Trimetric to show what it does, not cooking anything.

Before voltage 117.8, after starting the grill got:
116v, 5.78a, 670w, PF 1.0, and DC draw 65 amps.

Took about two minutes to heat up, light went out and amps dropped to 1.8a draw. Sat like that for a while then light came back on, amps back to 65 amps. Only stayed on briefly, then back off for a time, repeating. Most of the time it was off between short hits of power.

After approx. 10 minutes AH 4.64. I watched a couple of youttubes and they said more like 15 minutes being typical to cook something.

So it cycles but might act different (more time power on?) with food in it? Anybody know what to expect there?

BTW, it has that grease drip tray, but then what to do with the grease/water in that while RVing? I am thinking have an empty jam bottle (with a lid) to pour it in, and then when that fills up, put the bottle in the garbage?

Hmmm ... that great appliance gift you received sounds like a start-up-the-genny-briefly appliance to me ... just like with a microwave!

(Just kidding -> I realize that you have a large battery bank and inverter setup in your rig for off-grid and off-generator camping.)

BTW, I use a little propane Weber grill when we're camping and so far have paid no attention to what happens to any grease from it. There's no grease under it on the table after using it ... I wonder where the grease has been going all these years?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope you don't mean take the grill to the dumpster! ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, it was an easy clean up like ernie1 said. A paper towel got it all, didn't even need to pour it into a bottle first. I figure we can use this thing in the RV Ok. Don't exactly need it, but it can be used for sure. Since it was a gift, got to give it a try.

Those youtube guys sure have lots of recipes probably never get around to, but who knows?
Photo in Profile

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:

Multiple paper towels. Place it in a doubled plastic bag and take it directly to the dumpster.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK single pork chop in stick house this time:

Start. Heats up, off at--2 minutes ( of 65 amps assumed from before)

Start cooking-- 2 minutes, light goes off-check pork chop-- has some stripes so flip it (now at 4 minutes total of 65 amps)

Unit is steaming (must put it under range hood next time) 3 minutes light off--check.. it's cooked! OK so 7 minutes total at 65 amps, not bad at all. (compare with one spud in MW for 8 minutes at 125 amps)

65 x 7/60 = 7.58AH. Note the grill did not cycle on and off while doing each side. Happenstance that light went off when it needed flipping. Also as with the youtubes, I flipped it even though it does cook on both sides.

Anyway, whatever, it looks like it could be used off-grid on occasion, and not break the battery piggy bank.
Photo in Profile

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good news ernie1, thanks for the tips on how to clean it up.

I still need more detailed info on how much power it uses over time to cook things to judge whether it will do us when off-grid though.
Photo in Profile

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
We have and been using the GF grill for a few years now and the wife loves it. We plug it into an exterior rv 110v outlet and do the cooking outside to eliminate cooking odors inside the rv. Very little power consumption, cooks evenly and quickly. When cooking is done, we place a moistened paper towel between the two cooking surfaces and let it steam for awhile and then wipe it clean with a moist paper towel. The little grease tray collects the dippings and we soak things up with another paper towel after draining the liquids into a garbage container. I recommend it.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, apparently it works best with flat foods. Lumpy food means uneven heat, but one guy on youtube beat that by using some tinfoil over the food. No idea. Later I will post how it acts when doing a pork chop for cycling times. That should help reveal whether this grill could be used off-grid (in my case anyway!) for battery effects.
Would prefer some BTDT from folks though.

I can do 10 minutes straight of 125 amps with microwave as a one time thing for a meal, so this is half the amps and it cycles, so I have hopes. Might be better than the RVQ in the dark while it is raining (supper time in winter), and instead of a frying pan as the alternative. ๐Ÿ™‚
Photo in Profile

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Those numbers are similar to my Hamilton Beach Stay or Go coffee maker, with insulated carafe. It takes about 15 minutes to complete the brew cycle. Then shuts off.
I read some of the reviews of that GF grill unit, and they're mixed. I used to have one of the older larger ones in a condo, and it worked well. No BBQ grills allowed in HOA agreement. Eventually sold the condo, kept the grill.
I doubt any of this helps you. Sorry.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)