Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar: Add Anything to Copper Crimps & Tilt Angle for Panels

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the middle of installing a solar system, and have a couple of questions:

Heavy Duty Tinned Copper Lugs crimped onto Copper stranded wire -- Use any anti-corrosive or conductive grease type material in the joint before crimping it? Or better to use nothing? FYI, I do use a high quality adhesive-based clear shrink wrap on crimped joints.

I am putting five 100 watt panels on the roof, non-tilting mounts. My question is, what is the recommended slight angle to mount solar panels for the purpose of rain run-off?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
12 REPLIES 12

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was something about PID too and they were saying that with a panel tilted a bit, you can get a puddle at the low end dammed by the frame being a tad higher than the cells, which then sort of leaks into the works. Not too clear on that risk.

IMO go flat and just keep them clean.

Direct sun normal to panel gives the most amps and amps go down more the angle is off direct. Additional 10 degrees not linear so makes it more in the shoulder hours, when the flat panel is already at a disadvantage for angle.

full_mosey posted about this if I can find it.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25542183/gotomsg/25562549.cfm#25562549
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
The installation instructions for my Sharp panels I had a few years ago said minimum 5 degrees for rain drain. Warned about puddles on the panel making for "hot spots" (ISTR that was the term) and damage to cells.

EDIT Read up some on that. Hot spots caused by shading with uneven heating. "Self-cleaning" by rainfall to clear off dust--most say at least 10 degrees. Panels have drain holes that should be kept clear.

My Canadian Solar brand panel installation guide does not mention tilting for rain like my old Sharp one did.

I have nearly flat panels on the Class C roof, and have seen how rain puddles make for dirty areas after they dry if the panels are dusty before it rains. That might lead to shading related hot spots if not washed. I clean my panels fairly often anyway.

Thanks, BFL, 10 degrees or more makes sense, in order to get good rain run-off and dust wash-off, and eliminate any puddling of water after a rain.

I'm installing five 100 watt panels, so I'm thinking of not angling them all the same direction. Even though installed at say a 10 degree angle, yes, at some times of day, the panels angled the slightly opposite way to the sun will provide a little less production. But at the same time, when the sun is in the opposite side of the sky, the panels angled the opposite way may provide a bit more production, so seems like it would balance out.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I am concerned that if one puts a non-conductive substance into a crimp, that it might hinder connectivity.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
crcr wrote:
I am putting five 100 watt panels on the roof, non-tilting mounts.
Any chance you could be talked into tilt mounts?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
For decades I have filled the connector with blue silicone form-a-gasket before putting the wire in, crimp with a good tool, wipe off excess. Some of the light wiring I have done have lasted over a million miles..

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Me, I finally ran out of real-estate. Will never again climb on roof to tilt. Possible fall due to age. Hate taking those "Smart Pills".
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The installation instructions for my Sharp panels I had a few years ago said minimum 5 degrees for rain drain. Warned about puddles on the panel making for "hot spots" (ISTR that was the term) and damage to cells.

EDIT Read up some on that. Hot spots caused by shading with uneven heating. "Self-cleaning" by rainfall to clear off dust--most say at least 10 degrees. Panels have drain holes that should be kept clear.

My Canadian Solar brand panel installation guide does not mention tilting for rain like my old Sharp one did.

I have nearly flat panels on the Class C roof, and have seen how rain puddles make for dirty areas after they dry if the panels are dusty before it rains. That might lead to shading related hot spots if not washed. I clean my panels fairly often anyway.
Photo in Profile

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Crimp clean and dry. You can do an empirical test to see what angle sheds enough water.

MrWizard
solar panel MFG don't need a rain run off recommendation
solar panel MFG always recommend 90 degrees to the azimuth of the sun ( rain run off recommendation Not needed )
that is way more than the 5 degrees recommended here
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the solar panel manufacturer suggest any tilt for rain?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
I have seen something somewhere recently not to use any goop in there like that, but can't pin it down at the moment. Was in one of the owner's manuals for something, not to use any of that red spray stuff you use on battery posts. Might not be the same as what you are asking about.

5 degrees to get run off, but the roof may already be at that with camber.

Thanks. Yeah, I think I read something recently somewhere also recommending to put nothing. I used to put Ox-Gard on such connections, but now I am questioning the wisdom of that.

My roof is very close to flat, though must be rounded ever so slightly to each side. I was thinking for the two panels nearest the front of the TT, to tilt them down slightly toward the front due to forward motion when traveling, but I suppose any such angle like 5 degrees or so is so slight that it probably doesn't matter which direction they are tilted in.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen something somewhere recently not to use any goop in there like that, but can't pin it down at the moment. Was in one of the owner's manuals for something, not to use any of that red spray stuff you use on battery posts. Might not be the same as what you are asking about.

5 degrees to get run off, but the roof may already be at that with camber.
Photo in Profile