cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar disconnect switch

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install a switch to disconnect my 155w panel from the controller. The regular battery disconnects are so big. Any harm using a small toggle? Or maybe there are smaller disconnects? I looked around amazon and e bay. Seems like im seeing the same 3 products under different names.

Why?
Trailer is on shore power mostly. No need to float fully charged batteries every single day. I think thats what killed my agm batteries in under 2 years.
42 REPLIES 42

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Ski Pro 3,

Panels are often 17 volts. Much higher voltage panels are also available. Mine are wired in series/parallel giving a nominal voltage of 33 on the input side of the controller.

That is the open circuit rating for the panel voltage. No current. Once the circuit is configured, the measured voltage at the solar panel won't be 17 volts, or 33 as the case may be. A switch isn't rated on it's voltage as much as it's rated on it's amperage.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
When at home and on shore power, I set the solar controller's adjustable Absorption voltage to a Float value, so it is the same voltage set as my converter at 13.x (varies with temperature)

This is different from when out camping off grid using solar, where you want the Float to come on only after the batteries are fully recharged at the higher Absorb value.

With my Eco-Worthy controller, which does no time at all at the Absorb value, once it gets the batteries there, but drops to Float, I have to set the Float voltage at the Absorb value so there is time in Absorb.

On whether to float or not, "it depends". Trojan says float your AGMs unless you are cycling them monthly or more often. So long- term float is it otherwise.

EDIT--there is also a difference between floating a disconnected battery or not, and "floating" a battery that has some draw on it as with one in an RV even when not being used. (or your vehicle when parked )

Xantrex has that feature in their three- stage charger, where you can turn off the Float stage, and it will just stop after Stage 2. This is for batteries that don't like being floated, which they said included golf cart 6s ISTR.

A blurb on SG, says the higher SG batts such as deep cycles don't like floating so much, but low SG batts such as for standby power use, do.

However, without knowing the exact situation, IMO it is way more likely the AGMs that died in two years reason was from not being recharged to proper full as required. You can only do that if you have the correct measuring instruments--an ammeter for "amps to the battery" (not from the solar controller's display) and a voltmeter at the battery.

AGMs do not self- discharge much but Wets do, and some Wets more than others so it varies how long you can get away with not floating.

With Wets you can float at too high a voltage and "boil" out the water or at too low a voltage and have them sulfate. AGMs will sulfate at too low, but you can't add water if too high.

Setting the float voltage for a long term float means at the proper voltage for the temperature. With day and night temps being different, that means more of a seasonal temperature approach with some common sense or else have some kind of automatic temp compensation.

Solar controllers often have auto temp comp, but hardly any converters do. I have the manually adjustable voltage PowerMax LK model of converter/charger, so I have to keep an eye on what the proper voltage would be as the weather changes. But at least I can keep up with that, where I could not with an ordinary converter.

Obviously, the way to avoid all the complications is to go camping often and cycle the batts often, so there is no long term floating to worry about! ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I plan to use the switch quite often, so i probably want a switch over a fuse because i would assume the switch is designed to make and break contact more often?

It seems like most people on this site go to campgrounds. So their trailer is either stored or hooked to shore power. If you have solar without a disconnect that means your batteries are always fully charged and every morning get cooked at 14.4v. I still think that is what killed my deep cycle marine batteries premature. I read the trojan link many times over the last few years. It does not recommend a constant float on both sealed and flooded.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
Everything i read says a constant float charge is harmful to both flooded and sealed.

See the Trojan guide linked earlier on that. Also Lifeline's guide and Rolls' guide.

Switch is good for isolating panel from controller before disconnecting battery. Idea of using a cover on the panel without disconnecting it does not seem the same somehow, but not sure.
Photo in Profile

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ski Pro 3,

Panels are often 17 volts. Much higher voltage panels are also available. Mine are wired in series/parallel giving a nominal voltage of 33 on the input side of the controller.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Throw a chunk of cardboard or plywood over your solar panel and place a rock to hold it down.
Otherwise, any toggle switch that is rated at least 10amps will work since your solar can't produce more than that at 12 volts.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was wondering the same thing. There are some specialty electronic outlets that carry all kinds of fuses. I am using a 50 amp resetable fuse on the cable coming from my battery. It works just like a disconnect. Costs about $12.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I used these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Justech-Light-Rocker-Toggle-Switch/dp/B076M5HXVK/ref=asc_df_B076M5HXVK/?tag=go...

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
An inline circuit breaker like this is perfect for the job.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Everything i read says a constant float charge is harmful to both flooded and sealed.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
I want to install a switch to disconnect my 155w panel from the controller. The regular battery disconnects are so big. Any harm using a small toggle? Or maybe there are smaller disconnects? I looked around amazon and e bay. Seems like im seeing the same 3 products under different names.

Why?
Trailer is on shore power mostly. No need to float fully charged batteries every single day. I think thats what killed my agm batteries in under 2 years.

A proper float charge helps promote long battery life....not shorten it. But if you still want a switch, I'd suggest a nice quality Blue Sea product such as this: Blue Sea 187 series
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Switches have amp ratings, so any one with enough ampacity will do.

That would not be what killed your AGMs. Follow the AGM guide here:

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf
Photo in Profile

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might already have a fuse holder and fuse. Otherwise they should be easy to install.