cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

solar panel not charging battery

snook7
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Creekside with 150watt solar panel. Travel trailer parked in barn with overhead lights. I was putting on overhead lights directed towards solar panel in hopes of keeping battery charged. Doesn't seem to work. Battery dead.

Thoughts or guidance, please.

snook
11 REPLIES 11

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I tried reversing the polarity on my panels but they still refuse to charge at night...

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if he's allowed to vote...

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if he's allowed to vote...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
snook7 wrote:
I was putting on overhead lights directed towards solar panel in hopes of keeping battery charged. Doesn't seem to work.
Well, I have to admit this is the first time anyone's asked about that.

I suppose if you had a 1000w halogen lamp directly above the panel, you might see something. But then that would be crazy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Gee wonder why they are called SOLAR Panels??
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Conversion rate will be very poor.
My wag would be that you would be lucky to get 2% of the energy into the battery.
How many watts are the lamps?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
smkettner wrote:
If you have electric power for the lights... just plug the RV in.

:B :S

What ?? Where is the challenge in that ??
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

:B :S
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can pick up a RV 30A-15A LONG ADAPTER from WALMART where you can plug the trailer into the 120VAC 15A/20A RECEPTACLE in your barn. Looks like this

Be sure to use a HEAVY DUTY extension cord to run from the 120VAC receptacle to your trailer if you are not close enough to just plug the adapter directly into the receptacle.

This will also allow you to run most everything in your trailer but you do have to watch what you have on at the same time. i.e. running the air conditioner at the same time you turn on the microwave it will trip your barn breaker...

This will run your on-board converter/charger and lights real easy... If your on-board converter/charger is NOT a smart mode type unit you will have to watch your battery fluids every couple of weeks or so. The constant 13.6VDC being produced by NON smart mode type converters are known to boil out your battery fluids over time.

Also DO NOT use these round type RV 30A-15A adapters as they are known to get hot on you...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget the lights, the problem is not enough Moon beams at night in that barn. ๐Ÿ™‚

( Do check out how solar panels work, such as "irradiance" amounts for a real answer)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad