cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector, Do I need one???

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
SOooo...after RV'ing since 1971 and now on our 7th Motorhome, my WIFE has been advised by a friend that we MUST have a Surge Protector even tho we've NEVER had a problem. She's looking at either, the Progressive Industries SSP-30X or the more expensive EMS-PT30X. Can anyone help with the decision. :h
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
25 REPLIES 25

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
jolooote wrote:
SOooo...I've never liked computers making decisions for me. Will a Surge protector keep shutting off my AC whenever IT thinks IT should?
Absolutely! It will even do that while you're out sightseeing or sleeping. Computers do that you know...:B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The EMS-30 or 50 will "Shut down" if the voltage is too low.. Not sure what the cut off is. Same as my TRC-Surge Guard (I went with TRC because it was one lovely sale price. less than half the cost of the PI prodict (I'd rather have gotten the PI but the price tag was too good to resist)

Now in my case I "Converted" the HW model to a Plug in model (For a reason) by adding a pigtail outlet and a plug/cord (Very short in both cases. So my rig is now wired like this.

Shore---Hughes Autoformer --- Surge Guard ---- ATS---- Rig

That way if the park is a bit voltage anemic (Very common this time of year) the Hughes fixes the voltage and the Surge Guard lets me live.. The Hughes does way better than advertised per other people's surge guard.

So far in one year this unit (It's my 2nd one the first was a portable and that's where I got the plug and outlet to convert the HW to plug in it died, very old age) it has found two park wiring issues.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
SOooo...I've never liked computers making decisions for me. Will a Surge protector keep shutting off my AC whenever IT thinks IT should?
Heck...I even hate the Ford engineer who decided to 'HELP ME' by Dimming my dash lites if I turn on the headlights!!! LOL.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
AppFire...???...Are you saying I should REWIRE my brand new $100,000 Motorhome???
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

AppFire
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Progressive industries EMS-PT30x 2 months ago and used it for one camping trip to the beach. The "cooks" kept tripping the breaker with the air on so I converted my TT to 50A service. Now I have a "new" 30A surge protector that will not be used anymore. I have ordered their 50A surge protector for the new service. I am a firm believer in these to protect my electrics in the camper.
2017 Silverado Crew cab LT Max tow package
2003 Jayco Qwest 244

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brett nailed it - is was a poor neutral in the CG 120/240V distribution system.

I could not get unplugged fast enough.

Bob

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I had 160VAC one night on a 30A CG plug the PI EMS shut down the power and prevented letting the smoke out.

160 VAC is VERY unusual for a 30 amp connection as there is only one hot.

More common on a 50 amp connection with a poor or missing neutral.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had 160VAC one night on a 30A CG plug the PI EMS shut down the power and prevented letting the smoke out.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
jolooote wrote:
BTW; My new 2020 Jayco GrayHawk Prestige 29MVP has 30 amp service but also has 2 Air Conditioners. It has a 'Management Systen to allow 30 amps to run 2 AC's. Therefore, do I Already have a built in Surge Prootector/Supressor? :S
One type does not allow concurrent running of A/Cs. Another type load sheds and high draw A/Cs are on the list.

Do the research for your rig as to what else it protects against.

Bob

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Do you NEED one" absolutely not, but as you've read all the way through this thread, "Should you have one" ABSOLUTELY , just because you've ducked the bullet all these years, doesn't mean you'll continue to do so.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Do you not keep insurance on the RV because you haven't had an accident in the last 20yrs?

Same principal. Now how fancy of a unit, that can be open to debate.

Personally, I would be nervous with a 30amp rig that tries to run 2 air/con units. Continuous draw allowed per code on a 30amp outlet is only 24amp. Your average rooftop air/con pulls 10-15amps, so 2 will be 20-30amps and the lower the voltage, the higher the amps. Hopefully the system has it built in but I would be checking the amperage draw the first few times, both air/con kick on.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Obviously you don't 'need' one after all these years, but it can save you tons of trouble and money if something goes bad with the power at your site. We have a portable 50 amp Progressive that we have had for years. It is portable because we didn't want to leave it on a MH if we traded or up graded.
Over the years we have run into only a few instances where it actually saved us. Once when it would not pass power because of low voltage on one leg of the post. The CG owner swore nothing was wrong but did agree to another site. Turns out the receptacle was burned on one side and not getting contact. Saved a potential problem with a lightning strike near a state park and the PG50 shut the power off when the CG power surged. In a short time it re-set and we were back in business. Did it save us from disaster or was there even a potential for disaster? I certainly thought there was and slept better knowing it worked.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think a Surge Protector was needed, until I had lightning hit a tree very close to our RV. It's amazing the damage it can do by just hitting a nearby tree.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I got the progressive industry one. Yea, maybe its not needed, but i really dont want to have a problem on the road. Especially if you are on a longer trip. My understanding is that while surges are rare, low power is more of a concern. Running the ac underpowered is never a good thing. I know a few people that had the ems protecter save there camper stuff. So for the $$$, i would get it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.