cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector, Do I need one???

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
SOooo...after RV'ing since 1971 and now on our 7th Motorhome, my WIFE has been advised by a friend that we MUST have a Surge Protector even tho we've NEVER had a problem. She's looking at either, the Progressive Industries SSP-30X or the more expensive EMS-PT30X. Can anyone help with the decision. :h
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
25 REPLIES 25

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my kid had our rv out, lighting storm ,fried our electric system. she forgot to plug in the protector. all,s well now but I,d bet thats the first thing she does now.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you need one YES More later
Which THe PT-30Z or PT-30C or HW-30C I perfer the HW types
Do I have one. Competitor's HW type (HW is hard wired)

Why HW: You never forget it. Even if it's just an overnight

WHy do you need one and why the more expensive one

There are many issues one is Spikes which is what the surge protectors protect against (all of them) by use of a device that if the voltage goes to high they become a near short till it drops back down,. This can happen do to big motors (Air Conditioner confessors for example) starting and stopping.

They also give you error indications if the outlet you plug into has issues like an open ground or reversed hot/neutral.

But the more expensive ones also protect you should you accidently plug into a 240 volt outlet. No matter how many people tell you "It can't happen the outlets are different" there are many threads if you search these forums that prove it can. and I've met an electroician who was contracted to install a TT-30 for his customer.. and was about to wire it for 240 volts till I pointed to the marking on the outlet that said not to.

Second there are parks with bad power (low/high voltage) they protect you

Next is the famous BLINK where power goes off and comes right back on if you have the SSP but if you have the PT or HW it goes off and comes back on 2.5 to 3 minutes later WHY is this important

The Blink is very damaging to Compressors. but the near 3 minute delay lets them re-start normally no damage
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
A good EMS (not just a surge protector) usually cost less than the deductible for the insurance claim you could have without one. I buy insurance for most of my big ticket purchases, so why not consider it insurance on your trailer that will keep you from the hassles of a claim and fixing electrical problems?
Many will say "no need" but they must have better luck than I do.
Mine has protected us from both low power and a surge more than once.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
jolooote wrote:
Also...Many times I have found it necessary to use my 50 amp Adapter to use a parks 50 Amp plug because of poor power. Can I still do this with a 30 amp Surge protector?

Yes I do it all the time,I find that most times the 50 amp is in much better shape.

I went with the hard wire PD EMS HW 30C it has the remote display I can see anytime I want and just one more thing I don't have to hookup or take down.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
jolooote wrote:
SOooo...after RV'ing since 1971 and now on our 7th Motorhome, my WIFE has been advised by a friend that we MUST have a Surge Protector even tho we've NEVER had a problem. She's looking at either, the Progressive Industries SSP-30X or the more expensive EMS-PT30X. Can anyone help with the decision. :h

It only takes once replacing almost all of your 120v stuff because bad power has burned out the electronics that is in everything nowadays. Think of it like comprehensive insurance. You don't need it, until you need it.

jolooote wrote:
BTW; My new 2020 Jayco GrayHawk Prestige 29MVP has 30 amp service but also has 2 Air Conditioners. It has a 'Management Systen to allow 30 amps to run 2 AC's. Therefore, do I Already have a built in Surge Prootector/Supressor? :S

Maybe. You need to read the product information that came with the camper.

jolooote wrote:
Also...Many times I have found it necessary to use my 50 amp Adapter to use a parks 50 Amp plug because of poor power. Can I still do this with a 30 amp Surge protector?

Yes. You match the EMS to the camper, not the power pole.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely YES for an EMS. CG are getting more crowded and more campers are running their AC due to global warming. With aging CG wiring it is more likely that you'll get low voltage brown-outs now than just a few years ago. My EMS cut the power to my TT many times when the power dropped below 109v and thereby saved my AC and electronics from potential damage. I've never experienced a high voltage surge at a CG so for me a surge protector is just cheap insurance.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
It is imperative that you purchase every gizmo made for a RV. You have no idea how many aftermarket gizmos are counting on you to ensure they can have acomfortable retirement while paying alimony to their X's.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
BTW; My new 2020 Jayco GrayHawk Prestige 29MVP has 30 amp service but also has 2 Air Conditioners. It has a 'Management Systen to allow 30 amps to run 2 AC's. Therefore, do I Already have a built in Surge Prootector/Supressor? :S
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the SSP-30X and was quickly advised to return it and get the EMS-PT30X...

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES!! Without a doubt.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY