cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switch for lamp broke

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
The switch for this lamp broke. Is there anyway I can reapir it. I'd hate to have to go through the trouble of replacing the whole thing because of a cheap plastic switch. Not to mention there are two of them so I'd have to replace the other one even though it's working so they'd match.

Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
13 REPLIES 13

westend
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I work with small, low amperage switches quite a bit. I guess I know what is available.

I'll agree that 17 years is a fairly good bit of durability but I'm using some in my Starcraft that are 40+ years old. The newer toggles are much better than older push-on or even rocker switches. I have some mini-toggles that I mounted in some DIY LED fixtures. The only problem there is that unless you know it's in that place, they're hard to see. Durable but small.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
westend wrote:
Why would someone want to match a switch that failed with the exact replacement?

My originals lasted 8 years. And I could not find anything else small enough to fit in the small fixture. Hence, exact replacements.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Why would someone want to match a switch that failed with the exact replacement?

Because the rig is a 1999 so 17 years service would make me believe it gave good service.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I just took down the fixture and it looks like I'll just need to cut out the remaining part of the switch and wire in the new one. I've got the old part that broke off so I can make sure it'll fit out the same hole.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
You pretty much just take the old one with you to make sure the new one will fit into the same space and mounting hole so that you don't end up needing to make modifications to the fixture. If the switch was only a couple years old, I would look for a different brand. If it was 10 years old, I would replace with the exact same if available.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
buylow12 wrote:
OK, sounds easy enough. I assume the switches are fairly universal and I'll just need to pull down the fixture to get access to it to change it out?

Correct. Take what is left of switch with you to store for matching.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you can not find a suitable replacement locally, look on the side of the switch for any information you can find. Google the manufacturer name and all the info you can find and you will likely find multiple sources for an exact replacement switch. Worked for me for both the light over the dining table (120 vac) and the bedroom wall lamps (12 vdc).

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
OK, sounds easy enough. I assume the switches are fairly universal and I'll just need to pull down the fixture to get access to it to change it out?
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to buy a metal bodied toggle. They are abundant and durable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Or even Ace Hardware, for that matter. Those are fairly common.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
you should be able to get a replacement switch at Lowes or Home depot