cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Blue Rhino Barbeque that doesn't.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
My travel trailer came with a Blue Rhino BBQ that has a separate gas line and cut off valve, with quick disconnect features. The top of the BBQ has a thermometer for temperature reading.

Last week, while at about 6000 feet in elevation, I could not get much over 275 to 300F temperature to cook a couple of fine Rib eye steaks.

Upon looking at the hose, the diameter of the hose to flow propane looks exceedingly small and restrictive at the valves, perhaps 1/8" or 3 /16" in diameter.

Needless to say, 35 minutes is waaaay too long to cook steaks, 8 minutes per side is my normal procedure. I ended up firing up the generator and nuking them in the microwave to prevent myself from eating raw meat, the BBQ was not getting the job done with enough heat.

Suggestions? Is my pressure for propane too low? Is the intermediary hose too small? Is the valve on the BBQ defective and not flowing enough? It needs more propane and more air to make more heat to cook properly, things like tri tip roasts and steaks and chicken.
5 REPLIES 5

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Is there a regulator on the grill? If you have a dual stage regulator on the propane tank and a regulator on the grill, you may be regulating too low. If the Blue Rhino needs high pressure, locating an accessory use tee in front of the dual stage regulator may be the answer.

X2
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Is there a regulator on the grill? If you have a dual stage regulator on the propane tank and a regulator on the grill, you may be regulating too low. If the Blue Rhino needs high pressure, locating an accessory use tee in front of the dual stage regulator may be the answer.

I agree with this. I take my propane feed before the regulator, between the tank valve and the regulator. My BBQ has it's own reg.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
gemsworld wrote:
I think BBQ manufacturers have decreased the amount of BTUs in most portable models. If so, maybe safety and/or liability had something to do with it.

I believe you are correct.. One of my complaints is the rather "Anemic" burners in my RV on the stove, when compared too what I leaned to cook on in my mother's kitchen. Turns out there are regulations as to the total number of BTU's you can put out on that cooktop,, So they had to make 'em smaller.

And I so love cooking with gas (Way better way to cook than electric).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Community Alumni
Not applicable
My new TT also came with a BBQ but different brand and I also have the same problem, it doesn't get hot enough regardless of elevation.

My previous and still relatively new BBQ was pricey and I encountered the same problem.

I think BBQ manufacturers have decreased the amount of BTUs in most portable models. If so, maybe safety and/or liability had something to do with it.