cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

THE HORROR . .. .. . THE HORROR. ... . . THE HORROR

TRUENORTH60
Explorer
Explorer
So, the level indicator for my black tank seems to have two indications; 3/4 full or full. Even if I drain the tank, the monitor still shows 3/4 full. I can look straight down the toilet and see that the bottom of the tank is not covered with . . .. .. ahem . .. . . 'water'. No matter how much of the afore mentioned water that is added changes the reading until suddenly, and cruelly, the 'full' light on the monitor comes on and I am faced with the dilemma; 'to flush or not to flush. That is the question."

You can imagine my delight.

It would appear to a logical mind that the sensors in the black tank are corrupted ( and who could blame them). I have tried several remedies including dumping a number of bags of ice cubes down the drain and driving around, various cleansers and a load of Mr. Clean who claims to be able to 'clean everything in your house in just a minute!'

Does anyone out there have any suggestions about a product that will do the job or a method I can try that will not require me to actually entre the tank?

Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
> THE HORROR . .. .. . THE HORROR. ... . . THE HORROR
-------------------------------------------------------
If that's what you really think about some lousy tank sensors not working, you better quit RV'n right now, because you will NEVER mentally survive when you have a REAL problem !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
How fortunate that you can see down to the tank in the toilet! I have an elbow that prevents that.
In your situation, I would buy one of those ultrasonic distance measurement tools.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ultrasonic-Distance-Measurer-Estimator-Measuring/dp/B004IYNAHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474673056&sr=8-2&keywords=Distance+meter
With one or two physical measurements with a stick you can find out what distances indicate empty and full enough to leak out the tank cleaning port.

None of my tank level lights work. I get the freshwater tank level accurately with a clear plastic tube attached to the drain tap. The tube is long enough to extend up to the top of the rear bumper, which happens to be the tank full level.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
1 full scoop of Happy Camper.....Problem fixed.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
pawatt wrote:
In nearly 50 years of RVing I have never had tank sensors that worked well.

The purt'near number 1 convenience we spend $1,000's on buying an RV for...

50 years on they still don't work...

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
forgetaboutit they don't matter much.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
In nearly 50 years of RVing I have never had tank sensors that worked well.
pawatt

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
TRUENORTH60 wrote:
So, the level indicator for my black tank seems to have two indications; 3/4 full or full. Even if I drain the tank, the monitor still shows 3/4 full. I can look straight down the toilet and see that the bottom of the tank is not covered with . . .. .. ahem .

You have described a very large percent tanks in use today. That is normal operation I'm sad to say.

NOW. if you can see into the black tank, and see the sensors, Then there is a good chance you can blast them. I can not guarantee but this MIGHT work

Look up a valterra Master Blaster

Now I do not care for this design exactly. I'm afraid that "nose" jet would break off first time I use it. but some half inch PVC and a pipe cap and a 7/32" drill (Chosen by what was handiest do not feel obligated to use that size) and drilled a hole in the side.. Tha's my Wand. Or you can use a 90 degree elbow and cap it and drill the cap (Actually that's what I did center drilled the cap) much stronger, same concept. And from time to time I've enjoied Success. (not often) but I've cleared that 2/3 (in my case) sensor fairly often

Next option: Horst Miricle probes (Google them)
Ultimate option See Level sensors

I'm also gonig to try somnething eventually, but I got to buy 'em first no report till then.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
"...burping...",....so THAT'S what you call it. I've been using this method of telling when it's time to dump the tank. But, I recall how great it was back when all the monitors worked.
Thanks
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Before each camping trip add 1-2 cups of laundry detergent and a couple gal of water. Soapy water keeps the inside of tank slippery and nothing sticks to it.
Has worked for me for 20+ years.

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
If you are checking after using the toilet, the liquid sloshes around and the sensors will pick that up. The smaller the tank the worst it is. I've found mine works great if I check before using the toilet/sink, half hour should be enough time.

If that's not the case, I'd be cleaning the tank (as mentioned above by others) and check the wiring to the sensors if you can access them.

SeeLevel tank monitors seem nice, problem is they require a fairly deep tank (I think 8" of level vertical surface). If you can fit the, and the cost isn't an issue for you.. probably worth it..

And as noted smkettner, 3/4 and full are probably the most important ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
The Geo method worked for us. I use it about every five or six dumps. You must drive around with it for it to work.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
True North - if you do a search of the forum, you'll see that this subject comes up here about once a month. Put aside an afternoon and read the threads. They all say the same thing, the Geo Method and ignore the sensors.

Those with OCD who simply cannot ignore the sensors spend a lot of what is supposed to be leisure time worrying about what is a simple function. The black tank will fill up in a predictable time frame and react the same each time is gets full. When the time comes and the "I'm full" event occurs, dump it. It's that simple.

I do the Geo Method once a year, just before I put the MH down for the winter. I can dump at the storage facility so I put 10 gallons of water and a cap each of Calgon and Dawn blue dishwashing liquid in the tank at home. The 2 mile trip to the storage yard sloshes this around and I dump and then wand the black tank. I don't care what the indicators say (1/2 tank BTW) because I know the tank is empty.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
The SeeLevel monitoring system is a nice system. Put it on our last mh, and have one for our new mh, but haven't got it on yet.

Dusty

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're gonna use your mobile phone flashlight to look down the toilet before you "entre the tank" screw the phone to a 2 x 4 first.