cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Point of Fuses

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Fuses are to protect wiring, correct? If that is really so then I have a question posed as an example. Suppose I have a 55 amp converter. It is connected to a bank of batteries with 4 ft of #4 wire. ~180 amps is the max rating for 105C #4 wiring. What would be the point of fusing this wire if a catastrophic failure of the unit only sends a max of 55 amps down the wire?
36 REPLIES 36

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Also protects the converter from overload as well as everything. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
What happens if the converter gets mad, and I mean really REALLY mad at you and throws a hissy fit? A direct short with 4AWG is awful, like battery exploding time. Yeah fuses are a pain but what they may protect against is infinitely worse. Remember, Kelly said Murphy was an optimist...
So in this case, you're saying that there could be more than 55 amps drawn on a 55 amp converter? If this is the case, then I finally understand.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MNtundraRet wrote:
The fuse is protecting from shorts on a circuit. Worn or cut insulation on a cable. A loose connection sparking.
A short could only draw max amps from the device or devices on that circuit right? Then wouldn't just having adequately sized wiring do the trick? The amp draw won't be forever, the device will fail eventually. I guess I'm just not getting this. I can see the point of a circuit breaker on a 120V circuit cause you can have many devices that can draw more than the wire rating. I can also see protecting inadequately sized wiring (which is common in RV's). But if I have big honking wire, it's not going to melt with a current draw under it's rating. At least I don't think it would but that's why I'm asking.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
What happens if the converter gets mad, and I mean really REALLY mad at you and throws a hissy fit? A direct short with 4AWG is awful, like battery exploding time. Yeah fuses are a pain but what they may protect against is infinitely worse. Remember, Kelly said Murphy was an optimist...

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
The fuse is protecting from shorts on a circuit. Worn or cut insulation on a cable. A loose connection sparking.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I always thought fuses protected everything on the circuit, not just the wiring.
That very well could be the case but I'm told different. Hopefully someone will weigh in on this.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought fuses protected everything on the circuit, not just the wiring. But I know less than nothing about electricity so will await the experts' answers to this question with much interest.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien