cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire inflator with auto shutoff

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a good quality tire inflator that allows you to set the desired PSI then automatically shut off when that PSI is reached? There are some cheap ones on Amazon but in reading the notes some people say that with RV and truck tires it takes a very long time to inflate due to the Duty Cycles and having to rest the unit in between inflation.

This does not need to be portable as I am not looking to take it on the road with me.
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen
2 REPLIES 2

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you aren't taking it on the road, I would recommend getting a small 120V compressor as well. It will be faster than most any 12V inflator, to the point where the lack of an auto shutoff isn't a big deal; you just watch it and release the chuck when you get to the right pressure. I wouldn't suggest using the built-in regulator as the last few pounds will take a long time to equalize between the compressor tank and the tire.

I have a neat little Fini AirBoss compressor that I'm very happy with. It's currently a little over $100 at Lowes, not on sale; Sears also sells what appears to be the same thing under their own brand. It's about the most compact "real" 120V compressor I've seen, and is reasonably quiet (as cheap compressors go) and pretty quick (as small compressors go). For a 22' class C on the typical van chassis with 80 psi max tires, it's about perfect; for bigger higher pressure tires, it might struggle a bit.

Many of the small 12V inflators that plug into a lighter socket may literally take hours to inflate six LT tires that are quite low on air. Even if you have the time, your ears would not appreciate that process.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
First of all if you are talking about a 12 volt portable and automatic compressor, you need a good one that has good CFM. The only one I know of that is automatic and has these features is Viair. You can buy a regulator and adjust it to the psi you want. Use the appropriate quick connect fittings and get a gauge that has a 1% accuracy or better as many of them have low accuracy. You'd still want to check the final PSI with a hand held gauge (with good accuracy) and adjust up or down as needed. The needed duty cycle will depend on what you are pumping up - big tires to high psi from nearly flat, or just topping up a couple of psi all around. For just topping up, 33% duty cycle is fine.

Q Industries has the MV50 model compressor which is a close knockoff replica that looks like it's made in the same factory as Viair. Internally it's lesser quality & design though. There are a few other alternatives around but don't know anything about them.

What I recently did is buy a used Viair 300P unit ($100 Can.) that has 33% duty cycle and does 2.30 cfm and then modified it. Viair portable automatic compressors can't do more than 2.30 cfm and you can spend a lot more for their 450P-RV Automatic model and not gain anything. I modified the 300P by installing a Viair 90/120 psi pressure switch in the end of the compressor, adding a pressure gauge and a female quick connect fitting. I tested a tire on our truck and pumped from 70 to 80 psi in a little over 90 seconds which isn't that bad I think. I ditched the Viair recoil hose and am using an ultra-flexible 25' poly hose. I added a bleed valve on the hose to release pressure so the compressor won't get stored away with pressure on the head. This kind of modification isn't for everyone though (I like tinkering with stuff).

If you get a small portable 120 volt compressor, I think they are around $100-150 and have a higher cfm. They also come with a regulator & gauge and because they have a tank, aren't running continuously while pumping air. You won't have to worry about duty cycle on a 120 volt portable compressor like you do on a 12 volt one. If for home use, just get a portable 120 volt compressor. I have a Porter Cable pancake type that I've used while on the road in the past and has no problem getting the job done but are awfully noisy.

On chucks and inflator gauges/guns, I initially bought a Viair one and they are cheap junk (in sharp contrast to their compressors). What I found in doing my research is that MOST tire gauge/inflator guns have a low CFM (around 1 psi) and low gauge accuracy. Unless you spend a lot of $$, it's not possible to find a good one. Why have a compressor capable of 2.30 cfm (or more) if the inflator/gauge is only good for 1 psi? Many of them don't even provide specs. For now I'm using an ordinary ball chuck. If you read online reviews, many of the lock-on style chucks that come with inflator guns don't work well and need to be replaced. I bought a lock-on chuck like in 3rd photo that I may switch to. If using a lock-on tire chuck, you must use either a tire inflator gun ("stick" or pistol grip style) or a regulator otherwise will risk over-inflating a tire.