cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TIRE TESTING is done by a 3rd party

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
The US Environmental Protection Agency has a current bid request open to testing agencies to provide the service of testing truck tires .
I do the government bids for a large wholesale materials company .
It is my job to peruse over hundreds of Solicitations for materials and services that our company provides .
We do not do Tire Testing but we do provide some automotive , aircraft , naval parts and assemblies .
I just want to point out that the government does not do these tire tests themselves .
Successful bidders provide those services to the government .
So a third party rather than the manufacturers or the government is who actually perform these tests .
A recent tire thread posed this question .
4 REPLIES 4

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The EPA is primarily focused on items regarding pollution, and fuel economy, which rolling resistance in tires is a factor.

The NHSTA is more on the Safety aspects of testing..

But They do use independent contractors.

If you read the requirements, you will find that it really isn't a issue as they are VERY strict. The Govt. supplies the samples. They require that the results be turned over within 4 hours. They restrict who can be present during the testing... They specify EXCACTLY how the testing is to be performed... Etc, etc. And of course they can demand all of this as in addition to being the law, they are the paying customer. So it really doesn't make much difference who does the actual testing.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
PartyMarty wrote:
The US Environmental Protection Agency has a current bid request open to testing agencies to provide the service of testing truck tires .
I do the government bids for a large wholesale materials company .
It is my job to peruse over hundreds of Solicitations for materials and services that our company provides .
We do not do Tire Testing but we do provide some automotive , aircraft , naval parts and assemblies .
I just want to point out that the government does not do these tire tests themselves .
Successful bidders provide those services to the government .
So a third party rather than the manufacturers or the government is who actually perform these tests .
A recent tire thread posed this question .
Maybe you should review the TARDEC responsibilities?
MM49

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to Tech Issues Forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

PartyMarty