cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trik L Start with 100 watts of solar

ledcomp
Explorer
Explorer
Well I got lazy and let the RV sit for a few months, bad idea. First problem was a dead coach battery. I was thinking it might be dead but I can start the onan and put a charger on it. Second problem, the onan cranks but will not start. I bought this RV a few years ago and I put a new carb on it because it sat to long. Hope i didnt mess up this one.

Anyway, the real question, with 100 watts of solar can I maintain 2 group 27 house batteries and 1 coach battery using a Trik L Start. Winter will make about 15 amps a day summer is 30 amps a day. The controller is a Morning Star MPPT. The house load is 6AH/Day im not sure on the coach, Dodge B3500 but it has sat over a month before and started right up so it cant be very much.
4 REPLIES 4

ledcomp
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa wrote:
No Trik L Start needed. Just let the Morning Star do its job.

The MPPT controller charges the house bank. The Trik l start allows the coach battery to charge from the house bank.

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa wrote:

The solar charge controller will usually (I'm not an expert on this, YMMV) charge only the house batteries.

The Trik-l-start steals a small percentage of the charge off the house batteries to charge the coach battery. I had one installed on my class "C" for over 8 years, and never had to jump the battery to start the engine. It wasn't on solar, but was on a timer that only charged the house batteries for one hour a day. Probably about the same amperage as your solar would provide.

The Trik-L-start is a wonderful solution to a coach battery charging problem.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would keep an eye on it if not using a disconnect.
Otherwise 100w is plenty for the 3 batteries.