cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble getting New battery SG up

Ezbagr
Explorer
Explorer
I had a bad 6 volt battery in my 4 battery bank so I went to Sams Club and bought a replacement-same battery as other three. Trouble is I cannot get the SG up on this new battery-have been trying by charging with a BD1093 charger-just checked SG this morning and it is only 1.210.
One thing that concerns me is that this battery is already a year old-this is all they had on their racks-1 year old new stock-could this be part of the problem?
12 REPLIES 12

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
That battery should not have been for sale, as others have said. Amazing!

IMO take it back and get your money back or raise a stink until you do.

The good part is you are on this forum and knew enough to get a "baseline SG" after doing a top-charge on a new battery ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Discharge it slowly to about 50% and recharge. Repete daily for a few days then recondition. No improvement, take it back.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Holy Mole! How long has this restaurant steak and lettuce been stored?"

"A year"

Would I consider buying it? No.

Acid does things for a living. One of them is to eat lead and antimony. Sort of like having a live-in brother in law. Even though he may not work, he'll still eat and use everything up.

That Sam's Club should be reported to Corp headquarters. Trying to sell a year old battery is criminal. I devised stock rotation and top chargers to keep the corporation's inventory fresh. Batteries more than six months old were culled and sold at a discount.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The odds of you having a catastropic battery failure (ie.. not due to mistreatment, age or use) followed by a bad purchase are astronomical.

How old are the 3 others?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Ezbagr wrote:
mena661, that is what i am thinking about doing. I would just about guarantee that this thing has not seen a charger since they received it-sometime middle of last year.
X2 Also, even if you were to recover this battery, it will always be below par. Not worth the time IMO.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let's see.

You said: I replaced 1/2 of a 12 volt battery and now things are weird, it does nto work like a brand new one would".

no surprise.. Replace it's mate as well, never replace half your battery

You do not have 4 six volts IN (key word IN) the RV, You have two 12 volt batteries..

Now if you remove them they magically become four six volt (Since those are easier to wrangle and cheaper as well) but once installed each pair is one 12 volt battery.. You forgot that and replaced only 1/2 of the battery.

Replace the other half.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Might be your hydrometer - my experience has been that the readily available inexpensive ones aren't very good are measuring incremental changes.
Kevin

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Well, was it dead when you got it ? Surely you checked it if you still use a hydrometer.
My battery problems ended years ago, shortly after I refused to use a hydrometer ever again.If they don't stand at 12.6-7,(6.35) or they won't pass a load test, I don't need a hydrometer to tell me they're junk !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Ezbagr
Explorer
Explorer
mena661, that is what i am thinking about doing. I would just about guarantee that this thing has not seen a charger since they received it-sometime middle of last year.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Take it back and exchange it for a newer one. No telling how long that has been sitting without a charger put on it.

Ezbagr
Explorer
Explorer
No, I have not tried to do a recondition charge.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd use a manual charger rather than a smart charger. Isolate the battery and use a six volt setting. SG does improve slowly as a battery is cycled.

Have you tried the recondition setting?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.