cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TT Tire Pressure

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Things were much easier before the TST monitor 🙂 Tires were up to pressure, and then they weren't!

Tire have max pressure of 60 PSI. They were at 57 when I left MI, while driving to FL got up to a max of 69. Is this acceptable while driving? Temps were just a few degrees above ambient.

One interesting point, right side tires run a touch hotter 2F over left side.
39 REPLIES 39

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
That’s your choice not mine. I have a infrared gun I hit the tires with every 2-3 hours. I had just done that 15 minutes before I saw a tread strip leaving the RV. I stopped saw nothing thinking it was a bungee cord. Traveled another hour or more pulling into a campsite and noticed the tread loss. TPMS would have done nothing.

Simply not interested in an add on monitoring system. If I have a road hazard claim it will cost me $100 insurance deductible. If I have a non road hazard GY will pay for all the damages.

So I guess I will be saving money.

How much is your vacation time worth. And have you ever had to change what was left of a tire on the side of the road?

Guess you didn't read my earlier post.

"Not interested in cluttering my dash. I have had one tread separations that the TMPS would not have detected. That’s it never even a flat.

RVing since about 1990 always running quality tires."

I had a wheel bearing issue along CA 101 that I was fully prepared to deal with. What the HE!! did people do before all this high tech **** came along?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
That’s your choice not mine. I have a infrared gun I hit the tires with every 2-3 hours. I had just done that 15 minutes before I saw a tread strip leaving the RV. I stopped saw nothing thinking it was a bungee cord. Traveled another hour or more pulling into a campsite and noticed the tread loss. TPMS would have done nothing.

Simply not interested in an add on monitoring system. If I have a road hazard claim it will cost me $100 insurance deductible. If I have a non road hazard GY will pay for all the damages.

How much is your vacation time worth. And have you ever had to change what was left of a tire on the side of the road?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Not interested in cluttering my dash. I have had one tread separations that the TMPS would not have detected. That’s it never even a flat.

RVing since about 1990 always running quality tires.

My thing is. I want to know when a trailer tire is flat. TMPS will tell you that. I had a flat a couple years ago. Pulled it for miles before someone told me it was flat. Yes it separated, and there was nothing left of the tire when I stopped. TMPS would have told me instantly.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. READ YOUR VIN STICKER. IT STATES WHAT THE OEM SAYS TO INFLATE THE TIRES TO BASED ON THE WEIGHT AT MANUFACTURE.
2. Tires for a lot of people are out of sight and mind. Running 10lbs low for hundreds or thousands of miles will ruin a tire. It just won't be visible, until "IT JUST BLEW". GD Tire maker:B I get Motorhome tires and trailer tires way under the correct PSI all the time. Especially Motorhomes, up to 30 lbs low. Usually Trailers are around 15 to 20 lbs low.
3. I guess this is so, because it can be a pain to find and fill your RV tires when on the road. Doug

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
What many consider max pressure is NOT the maximum pressure. Read carefully, it is the pressure required to obtain the maximum load rating.

You can increase the pressure beyond what is on the sidewall but it does not increase load capacity beyond the rating.

When I had 50psi LRC (ST) tires, I regularly used a cold inflation of 55psi.

Maybe provide a tire manufacturers link to this please.

Read the side of your tire. It probably says something such as "max load xxxx at xx psi". Maximum load, not maximum psi.

Roger Marble of http://www.rvtiresafety.net/ has addressed this a number of times.

Here is one article he wrote that may or may not help in understanding;
http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2015/07/when-is-minimum-inflation-maximum.html

Edit;
Here is a pdf from Goodyear about the 65 mph rating of Marathon tires. It speaks of increasing the pressure 10 psi in order to operate at 66 to 75 mph. The limiting factor on increasing the psi according to Goodyear is the wheel and the stem, not the tire.
https://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
The three certainties of life
1) Death
2) Taxes
3) Trailer Tire debates
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
What many consider max pressure is NOT the maximum pressure. Read carefully, it is the pressure required to obtain the maximum load rating.

You can increase the pressure beyond what is on the sidewall but it does not increase load capacity beyond the rating.

Maybe provide a tire manufacturers link to this please.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ependydad wrote:
See if this will ease your mind any:
How To Use Your TPMS?

It has practical hints and suggestions for using your TPMS.

Great article, thank you!

WRT not having a monitor, I can't count the number of times I've heard "the tire suddenly blew". Well, maybe it can happen, but I'd bet a dozen doughnuts there was a problem that developed just before it suddenly blew.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoying have tire sensors on the Alpenlite.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not interested in cluttering my dash. I have had one tread separations that the TMPS would not have detected. That’s it never even a flat.

RVing since about 1990 always running quality tires.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Sensors are for low pressure. Inflating cold (no sun, no driving) the hand held pressure gauge is correct.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Definitely agree with quality tires, but even the best tires are not immune to a slow leak caused by a wayward nail. The TPMS can save you from a destroyed tire, or even some trailer damage caused by a destroyed tire.

Heck, repairing one of those Goodyear tires instead of replacing it would just about pay for a TPMS. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inflate cold to pressure based on your actual load. Don't worry about what the sensor tells you.

Better yet forget the sensors completely and simply buy quality tires!