cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

upgrade xantrex 1000 to xantrex 1800

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
Can I upgrade my (dead) 1000 for a new 1800 with the existing wiring/batteries???
Would be a simple switch out as the boxes are essentially the same.
Also does anyone have any comments on the newer HF models?
thanx!
32 REPLIES 32

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the most talented TRACE engineers went to OUTBACK. A couple jr grades went to Magnum. Back in the day TRACE utterly dominated the inverter market. Hart Fartinyourface did not stand a chance.

I correctly wired a customer's FIYF inverter, twisted the switch and smoke rolled out. After that I refused to go near the. Simoke answer the unit was like Chinese krap today -- loaded onto a pallet without factory proofing.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mex,

Under the current administration they no longer export. They dump the waste into streams and rivers.

My reason for picking Victron is simple. The Magnum has 120 volt cooling fans. If you turn it off after it has been running a heavy load, there is no cooling. Then the insides catch on fire. I have the scorch marks on the wall to prove this.

I do not know if Victron uses 120 volt cooling fans, but I sure won't recommend Magnum. To be fair they did replace the unit. Leaving me to be CAREFUL how I use the thing.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The reason I am so sensitive about chew & spit is that for 30 years I remanufactured alternators and when I was finished with one, it performed like brand new and had superior bearings, brushes, and electronic components. Not in the league of velcro and wingnut junk that had stickers "Warranty Void If Battery Not Fully Recharged Before Use"

I am damned near ready to start pushing for a constitutional amendment that would forbid the importation or domestic manufacture of electrical and electronic components that prohibited the repair or remanufacture.

It does not mean settling for thrift store grade products. Housings, mechanicals, circuit boards can be modulized. Refurbished to look and work like new.

This would create an enormous amount of jobs well above "Burger Flipper" levels. Transformers, circuit boards, all domestically produced and it would salvage the 99% still-good waste of components.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A neatly laid out and soldered circuit board is not a hallmark of quality. It is the origin of FETs and rectifiers, adequate choke capacity and heatsink area.

Transformer inverters stress their solid state components about a tenth as much as much as high frequency inverters. It is the nature of the animal. Old fashioned regulated wall warts seemingly last forever because they use a transformer not chopping to change voltage. There are unregulated all warts so be careful as you comment on this...

I have a 400 amp 30 volt ferroresonant charger that has endured 25 years of grueling usage. It would be absurd to think or assume a high frequency charger could vie for competition.

Chew & Spit. About as green as the basement of an outhouse. An inverter, a good inverter can be transferred from rig to rig. It has no "tread wearout" and never needs it's oil changed.

If you knew the truth about what happens to electronic components that are "recycled" your hair would stand up on end. They are exported then BURIED. And world resources continue to be plundered.

My ash tray is full -- crush the car...

MrWizard
Yes I do
When it comes to batteries, chargers, inverters

There is no substitutes for copper and iron, for some jobs
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I wouldn't do Magnum. I would pick Victron.

allen8106 wrote:
If you are going to upgrade I sure wouldn't use Xantrex, I would go with Magnum.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
When my Prosine 1800 was done it was well done. All the main components looked heat stressed with discoloration.

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
My Prosine 2.0 I installed in 2006 works flawlessly. In all fairness I repaired(resoldered) remote twice since then but did not have to replace anything. In my view Xantrex products are well made(I have seen inside of all of the ones I own). I have few of them.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I took a few Xantrex inverters apart. I was not impressed. Their high frequency inverters are garbage just like the worst of the worst Great Wall chew and spit inverters on eBay or Harbor Freight. Larger junk does not mean better junk.

When Xantrex purchased Trace, all the senior management ran like hell. Senior management meant foreman as well. Maybe the custodians stayed on? Chinese use 100 volt rated devices. USA made stuff may have 200 volt rated or higher.

Xantrex is excellent
For hurling at howling dogs.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to upgrade I sure wouldn't use Xantrex, I would go with Magnum.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

Laugh on....

I have several friends who purchased AMANA Radar Ranges in the SIXTIES and they still work. Some failures of button controls. But they are not landfill

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Vector Maxx 2000w MSW I got in 2009 still works, been used a fair amount over the years. Been a "spare" for a year now since we sold the truck camper and we recently got a new PSW 2000 for the MH. That Vector is heavy compared with some other 2000s I know about, even though it is of the new technology. (Mr Wiz likes "heavy" ๐Ÿ™‚ )
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

MrWizard
Tripplite 1250w, 8yrs old, 7ys 24/7 operation
still working

been mostly on standby since Jan
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Another pound of landfill.

Why is my Trace 812SB still working after 24 years and the 4024 going strong after 26 years?

Paper plates and plastic spoons mentality is a loser.

Are there ANY thousand watt to 2000 watt inverters that stay working after 5 years? My Samlex 300 has worked flawlessly but for its size it is pricey.

I purchased Dickies pants and shirts in 2002 and while faded, they are perfectly good weekend and around the house clothes, no holes no missing buttons. Six dollar Wal-Mart garbage would have taken six shirts or pants to equal the lifespan.

But then I am a cheapskate...