cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's wrong with my slideout?

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday, hooked up to the normal 15 amp service I plug into at home sometimes, I slid my bid slide out. I didn't notice any issues. When I slid it back in, it sounded very weak. So weak that it actually stopped about halfway. I waited a few seconds and tried again and it weakly finished coming in. I just brought the trailer home last week and noticed no problems then, nor never have. The trailer is level and it didn't sound like I would think something binding necessarily would. Is my motor getting weak? That's really all I can come up with. There was nothing else in use other than a light or 2 and I know to never attempt to use my a/c with this power. I was getting afraid I would have to find that long manual bar/socket combo and do it the hard way. Is it an easy replacement to swap a motor? How do I find it without cutting the covering and insulation under my camper?
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).
11 REPLIES 11

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I still haven't had a chance to check it again but will soon.
Alan & Tommie. 2003 Dodge 3500 SRW SLT Quad Cab, Cummins 5.9 HO, 6 speed manual and 3.73's. 2007 Pilgrim Legends Mid Profile 33RKS-M5 5th wheel, Prodigy, Superglide 14K hitch (already very glad I got it).

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
albow wrote:
..how physically difficult is it to slide it in or out with the manual long socket?

albow, when I had problems with mine a few years ago, I found it to be very hard to move the slide with a 1/2 drive ratchet. Yes motor brake was off. I later looked at my owners manual, where it said to disconnect from the circuit board first. Made A LOT of difference.

Suggest you check your manual first ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
The slide is designed to work without being hooked up, so even though your plugged in, its still running on the batteries. The first thing is to check the batteries. Perhaps they are old and no longer accepting charge and check water level if flooded cell. Check the ground. On my tt they lump all the grounds together and bolt tot he frame. Its gets all the road rain etc and I have found my ground to be rusty. Take apart, clean reattach and seal with terminal sealent. If batteries seem fine then perhaps your charger is not providing enough charge. After that you need to check the wiring from the battery all the way to the motor.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

svjim
Explorer
Explorer
Slide out problems can be tricky. I had similar problems with our 5th wheel slide. After all sorts of testing it turned out to be weak slide switches ( the one on the wall that you use to push in and out) they would heat up during operation and the operation would stall. Usually waiting a minute solved the problem but eventually it just failed. Once they were replaced the problem went away.

Good luck
2014 Adventurer 86SBS
1999 F250 HD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens
Hellwig Big Wig Anti-Sway bars

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Y'all are all pointing at electrical so far. I will check these out when I get a chance. By chance, how physically difficult is it to slide it in or out with the manual long socket?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Senor Chris Byrant jumped right in with the right answer IMHO.

I've seen an awful lot of slide power wires connected directly to the battery. Start there. If there is the least amount of corrosion on the power wires, snip off the ends and install new ring terminals.

Then there are slide rocker switches - garbage with faston, push-on terminals. Operate the slide a little then feel the switch body and terminals for heat.

Check the wiring running to the slide motor. Slides love to slice things. A wire cut in half will cause your symptoms.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, what they said. If you can get at the motor, I would "hot wire" 12 volts over to it, then you'll know more. If you can't, try to locate the main motor wires where ever they mite appear, and hot wire it there. Polarity changes direction.
Unless its all hydraulic like mine, then a whole nother story.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Because the lights didn't dim, I would look for a bad connection in the slide circuit. Most motor/mechanical problems would dim the light considerably, through increased current draw.
-- Chris Bryant

albow
Explorer
Explorer
Several 12v lights were on. They didn't dim or I would have suspected a power issue. Do they operate on 12v even when plugged in to shore power? Not sure if a dual system or something. It extended just fine 30 minutes before.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
X2 TucsonJim,

This is most certainly a loss of voltage issue. Turn on a 12 volt light that you can see when operating the slide, if it too dims or goes out, battery voltage has gone low.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Check your battery voltage. You might have a charging issue such as a bad converter. If so, you battery is getting too low to drive the slide.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)