cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Size Circuit Breaker At Trailer Connector

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer has 50 amp serivice. It came with a 50amp circuit breaker where the trailer connector wires into the trailer near the batteries. Since new I have upgraded to a four battery bank (four deep cycle 12v at 85ah each) instead of one battery that the trailer came with. I do not run an main inverter but do have some small 60 watt inverters that I use for TV and Sat and such.... I am going to replace the standard 50amp breaker with a swicthable breaker. Should I stay with a 50amp or up it to 100amp or higher?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
6 REPLIES 6

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good points from everybody thanks...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If the breaker trips turn something off. If you want more power you will need to increase the wire size including ground connections. Do not just increase the breaker rating.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
Never replace a breaker or a fuse with one of higher amperage. The wiring is sized for the fuse. A higher amp breaker or fuse could melt the wiring if that wiring is not large enough.

BEST ANSWER nomination.

If you change the breaker, without changing the wire size, you may find out who in your community still makes house calls. (The Fire Department).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Moved from Technology Corner

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Never replace a breaker or a fuse with one of higher amperage. The wiring is sized for the fuse. A higher amp breaker or fuse could melt the wiring if that wiring is not large enough.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Stay with the 50!
Your DC circuits may need to be adjusted for protection or new circuits ran.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker