cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whatsa Quiet Water Pump?

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
(I searched around, but didn't see any specific topics on quiet water pumps on RV.net.) While out on a 18 day journey through Colorado, my wife said she'd finally had enough of the old original water pump. It sits right under the bed and I'm amazed it only took her 13 years to come to this point!

I'm looking at the Flojet Quiet Quad, which is a decently review one on Amazon. It sells for about $78, but at CampingWorld they have the Flojet Quiet Quad 2, which seems to have better specs for about the same price (both free delivery).

I have no idea what came original in this Rockwood, but she's right - it is annoying! ๐Ÿ˜ž (why we waited 13 years . . . I dunno!)

Any ideas about this Flojet pump or other ideas?

Thanks!
Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!
26 REPLIES 26

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
TeryT wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
An accumulator tank will help with the noise by preventing the pump from kicking on as often. I installed a large one in the the same compartment as the water pump in the DP, very little plumbing to mess with that way. I'm having problems with where to install a large one in the 26' TT, may have to go to one of the small ones.

Bill
Many of the pumps I've looked at say NOT to use an accumulator. And the space is really tight, so not sure where I would even put one . . . but you're saying it will help with cut-on frequency, not with noise, right?

You do not want to use an accumulator with a bypass of variable speed pump. It will circumvent the way the pump is designed to work and it will actually run more. An accumulator tank is great for the standard, single speed, non-bypass pump though, like the shurflow 3 GPM pumps so many RV's come with.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TeryT wrote:
About 10 years ago I put the pump on rubber mounts and wrapped it and the plumbing from it in dense foam. That cut the noise maybe just 20% or so.

2oldman wrote:
As mentioned, the problem is usually not the pump itself, but the outlet hose vibrating and banging the pipe it's connected to on something.

Took me years to figure out a solution that actually works so well at dampening pump noise that I had to add a light so I'd know when the pump is running. 2 pics and a video as proof of performance start here. Anything else I had tried previously on a variety of trailers weren't anywhere near as successful as this. :B To the OP - you likely don't need a new pump but rather a proper pump installation. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TeryT wrote:
About 10 years ago I put the pump on rubber mounts and wrapped it and the plumbing from it in dense foam. That cut the noise maybe just 20% or so.
As mentioned, the problem is usually not the pump itself, but the outlet hose vibrating and banging the pipe it's connected to on something.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The water pump in our Landau was originally installed next to the bed in a cabinet, and was very disturbing when sleeping. After tracing out the related plumbing from the under bed fresh tank, I was able to relocate the pump down into the wet bay where all the valves and hookups are. I mounted the pump on a vibration damping folded foam rubber mouse pad, and connected it with flexible hose instead of rigid piping. Now we can only hear a slight hum when the pump runs if everything else is quiet. We also have a 2-gallon accumulator tank to minimize pump starts/stops.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Adding the accumulator tank is the best way to keep the pump from even running.. absolute silence. Added bonus? It can make the pump last 10x longer before a replacement is needed.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I placed a piece of carpet under my water pump feet mounting. Did wonders for dampening the vibration sound. I also had one line banging on the side the hot water tank which is in the same area. I re-positioned that to be away from the housing which helped also...

Not much you can do about the noise the motor makes but at least you can dampening the vibration made sounds...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
An accumulator tank will help with the noise by preventing the pump from kicking on as often. I installed a large one in the the same compartment as the water pump in the DP, very little plumbing to mess with that way. I'm having problems with where to install a large one in the 26' TT, may have to go to one of the small ones.

Bill
Many of the pumps I've looked at say NOT to use an accumulator. And the space is really tight, so not sure where I would even put one . . . but you're saying it will help with cut-on frequency, not with noise, right?
Hensley Hitch

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Some of the newer bypass pumps aren't too bad.
Most of the noise comes from the plumbing vibrating against walls and what not.
If you can isolate the water lines where ever they touch anything (pipe insulation works great) you can reduce noise dramatically.
There are also "Quiet Kits" that add more flexible lines to the input and output and allow the pump to vibrate without transferring that to the harder pipes and anything they touch.
Some even put foam or rubber pads under the pump.
Thanks. About 10 years ago I put the pump on rubber mounts and wrapped it and the plumbing from it in dense foam. That cut the noise maybe just 20% or so. Needless to say I was disappointed in my effort . . .
Hensley Hitch

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many ways to quieten the pump, depends on what is causing it. Often it is the plywood surface it is sitting on. Try putting 2" thick piece of closed-cell foam under the pump. Length and diameter of intake hose matters - the shorter and wider, the better.

My Flojet 03526 wasn't quiet. Shurflo Revolution 4008 was better.

They all make noise. Only once I saw a quiet one: 12V Inline Centrifugal Pump. Could barely hear a sound in the video. The guy tried it in the US market, went to Dragons, - big mistake :). I used to watch this show sometimes, then lost interest. Episodes are heavily edited, questions and answers are cut and mismatched to make it more exciting. Main question they always ask - How much have you made in sales already. If the number isn't big enough they are not interested. Boring.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
If you can isolate the water lines where ever they touch anything (pipe insulation works great) you can reduce noise dramatically.
There are also "Quiet Kits" that add more flexible lines to the input and output and allow the pump to vibrate without transferring that to the harder pipes and anything they touch.

x2. find the quitest pump you can, and do the above to further reduce noise. Most pumps now list a db level. FWIW a mid level pump isolated well can easily be quiter than a very quite pump mounted to a board with hard connection lines running against hard material.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad