cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Generator to Buy?

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Initially thought 2000 would be my size but who knows, maybe i would want to run the AC on a rare occasion in the summer. usage would be for overnighting on the road as we never dry camp.

I really do not like the increase in weight of the 2400 Yam. however I think it would run my 13,500 AC where as the 2000's would struggle or would not do it.

Considering I did not notice something like a 2400 Honda, it looks like the Yam would be the choice in the 2400 range.

Also the cut in price for say a Generac 2000 or the Subaru 2500 look enticing, any experience on it out there.

thanx
32 REPLIES 32

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Champion makes a 3100 watt.

My choice was a Yamaha 3000 iSEB (2800 watts continuous). It has electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO: When you need generator power, there's nothing more worthless than the money spent on an underpowered generator for the job you need accomplished. Staying overnight at Cracker Barrel, Flying J, Rest Stop, dry camping, etc: is fine, we do it all the time and I've got to be comfortable when we do it. Our 5'er has a built in 6500W run generator with a 7500W surge capacity. During warm/hot temperatures, who wants to lay in bed and sweat because your 2400w generator can't handle the air conditioner compressor start up surge? To effectively run a 13,500 BTU RV air conditioner requires a minimum 3000W run power generator that has a 3500W start up surge capacity. A generator with any less capacity and you run the possibility of damage to your under powered generator, your air conditioner, your power panel, and your sanity after spending a night dry camping at Cracker Barrel with the windows open and a hot RV bedroom.

There will be others that will argue a 2400W generator will do the job of operating a 13,500BTU RV air conditioner. I however subscribe to the principle that it costs only a skosh more to go 1st Class. If yer gonna do something, do it right or leave it alone. Good luck.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
Initially thought 2000 would be my size but who knows, maybe i would want to run the AC on a rare occasion in the summer. usage would be for overnighting on the road as we never dry camp.
This is not the usual scenario for buying, or needing, a generator.

'Rare occasions' means that you'll be carrying around a generator drained of fuel (if you want it to run when you need it). Sooo.. you have to carry gas - not old gas - then get the gen out, fill it, spill it, then crank it 18 times to get it started. Then, when done, decide if you'll be using it again soon. If not, drain it again. It's a big pain for rare usage.

Ok, that said, the 2000 will struggle mightily to run your A/C. Two in parallel will run fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman