cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whirring noise from inverter

maroua
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds as if there is a fan or something that comes on intermittently, anything to be concerned about?
2014 Dodge RAM 1500 Bighorn 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 axle
2014 KZ Spree LX 280 RLS

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." -
-- Lao Tzu
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
maroua wrote:
It may be the converter, not sure about terminology.
This morning the battery died, even though we had been connected to shore power.
Should I replace the battery first and see what happens?

INVERTER uses battery 12vdc to produce 120vac to power 120v items when camped off grid.

CONVERTER uses 120vac to produce 12v power to keep the battery charged and power the 12v items in the RV.

Dead 12v system (lights etc.) points mostly to a failed converter. Need to separate the battery and converter to test/verify what the problem is. Remove the battery and use a portable charger to see if it will charge. Your 12v systems should run directly from the converter. Post converter model for best suggestions on replacement.

maroua
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I think maybe going on.
I will have to look at it and give info later. Not near the camper at this time.
2014 KZ Spree LX 280 RLS

"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you." -
-- Lao Tzu

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds to me like the battery is bad and the converter fan was running because the converter was trying to supply power to the failing battery. However, with a 2014 RV, that seems like a very short battery life.

Can you tell us what converter you have? Have you checked the water level in the battery?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

maroua
Explorer
Explorer
It may be the converter, not sure about terminology.
This morning the battery died, even though we had been connected to shore power.
Should I replace the battery first and see what happens?
2014 KZ Spree LX 280 RLS

-- Lao Tzu

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Just so the OP can tell us if he means inverter or converter, an inverter takes 12 vdc input and gives out 120 vac. The converter takes 120 vac shore power and puts out 12+ vdc to charge the battery and power the 12v equipment in the RV.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I think there may be the possibility that they are talking about their converter which also has a cooling fan.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

MrWizard
maroua wrote:
After reading a bit, I flipped a couple of breakers and it seems to go away when I turn off electric water heater breaker

If you are not on shore power, why would the wh be on electric from inverter sucking your batteries dry
Are you dry camping with the shore cord plugged into the inverter?
Then all appliances should be on manual and on propane

And if you are on shore power, the water heater should not be wired to the inverter anyway
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
With some inverters the cooling fan in thermostatically controlled. Large load, more heat, fan comes on. Load reduces, inverter cools down, fan shuts off. Some inverters, this is programmable.

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
Mine varies the noise with the load...

maroua
Explorer
Explorer
After reading a bit, I flipped a couple of breakers and it seems to go away when I turn off electric water heater breaker
2014 KZ Spree LX 280 RLS

-- Lao Tzu

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check your battery too. Water should be covering the plates, no excessive gassing, the terminals should measure steady 13.2 to 13.7 volts.
If this is actually an inverter(vs converter) then disregard.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
there is a fan, when the unit gets warm it comes on, might clean the blades ,and spin the blade it should turn free not stiff.