cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Whole RV Inverter/Charger

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
Not a lot of information out there so I figured I'd post here.

If like to add an inverter for my 5er, mainly to limit inconvenient trips out to get the generators running for small things. One of the first things that comes to mind is the coffee pot. That's about the only AC power we use in the morning.

Anyways, I have this ambitious goal to have the inverter be capable of powering the whole camper, rather than just a few outlets or a sub panel or whatever. I'd also like to do a combo inverter/charger (IC) in place of my converter to streamline things, especially the transfer switch duties. I'm trying to confirm my thinking is correct.

The inverter I'd like to use is a Victron Multiplus 12/2000/80.

In my mind, the way this would be accomplished is to take the wire that is normally connected to the shore power inlet on the side of the camper and connect it to the AC output side of the IC. I would then run wire from the actual shore power input receptacle to the input side of the IC. With the transfer switch capabilities of the Victron, it seems like this would work correctly when plugged into shore power or portable generators, yet still let the whole RV function off the inverter when not. Am I correct?

Next question. Technically my RV is set up for a 50A, 240V input. I normally run it off of 120V. I'm assuming my RV is set up like a house - half the 120 circuit in the box come off of L1 on the 240V and the other half come off L2. If I'm correct, wouldn't I technically need two IC's as illustrated in Victron's "split phase" diagram?

Any help is much appreciated.
35 REPLIES 35

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You won't be able to power devices like A/Cs, HW and even an absorption refer on AC takes significant power. Better IMHO to power existing and/or new circuits for TVs, audio, MW and occasional coffee pot with the inverter.

But yes you can rewire for a whole house inverter to power everything the inverter and batteries can handle. How are you going to recharge the batteries w/o shore power? Solar? Gen?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Why skimp? put in two so you don't have half your loads shutdown. Add an EMS to the breaker panel to kill heavy loads like electric hot water and electric clothes dryer.

With 8+ batteries you will want two for the extra charging capacity alone.

You forgot the sarcastic smiley. The OP is a newbie with an honest question so let's not drive him away.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Why skimp? put in two so you don't have half your loads shutdown. Add an EMS to the breaker panel to kill heavy loads like electric hot water and electric clothes dryer.

With 8+ batteries you will want two for the extra charging capacity alone.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Do you really want the multiplus that will combine power with a generator?
Do you really want 4000 watts of power? Really need 8+ batteries to drive that combo.
Is the internal transfer switch rated 50 amps?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too complicated. Just get an ordinary MSW 2000w inverter, wire it close to the battery bank with fat wires, and plug in the shore power cable to the inverter---AFTER you get the converter turned off so it doesn't run from the inverter, AND after you switch the fridge and water heater to gas.

You are the transfer switch. The shore power cable can be plugged into the pedestal, generator, or inverter. (If you have a built- in gen, then that transfer switch is still in effect.)

To charge the batteries, run from the generator and turn the converter back on.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

LipschitzWrath
Explorer
Explorer
Diagram referenced in previous post: