cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! 1978 Fleetwood Flair - AC stopped working

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter bought an old 1978 Flair. We have been fixing it up and it's look great. Sadly, while it was parked and plugged in, her roommate ran over the electrical cord with the lawnmower, chopping it up and requiring it be replaced. They replaced the cord and everything worked fine except the AC. The roof unit, which worked fine before the incident, now won't even turn on. I have checked the fuses that I can locate (the tube glass kind) and they seem to be intact. Can anyone give me any other advice on troubleshooting? Thanks so much!

Here's a photo:

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg569/LydiaS65/1840531955850175325-account_id1_zps9rpkvrhs.jpg
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is a 30 amp RV with an auto-transfer switch double check the connections to the ATS. Best I can offer. also check the breakers on the generator EVEN if you are not using the generator.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you don't have a switch to change from AC to microwave or similar?
bumpy

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Have you checked the obvious stuff we seem to overlook? Circuit breaker, fuses, etc.?

Just trying to be helpful.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Are you SURE during the reconnect that a wire was not left off? Sometimes wires drop down and hide

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the photo of that Rooftop A/C that she linked to

and it should need ONLY 120 VAC from a Shore Tie Cable or a Generator, to run on.

We had an old Holiday Rambler, not quite that old, and it had a separate breaker panel for generator, with a breaker marked A/C. Never quite understood the relationship, just wanted to mention that it seems there's a breaker, or a connection, somewhere that you have missed.

It seems to me, that a connection didn't get made up, in the RV, where Shore Tie Cable (the one you replaced) meets the interior coach wiring.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
So it is still not working. To answer the questions: No, the unit was not running when the cord was cut. The A/C unit is a Evan Products Company roof AC. I posted a link to a photo of the unit in my original post. We have tried to flip the breakers and press the reset button, to no avail. I was just hoping someone had a similar issue and could give me some pointers.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

Check the circuit breakers in the RV converter power center
Move them all the way off, then back on

will the AC fan operate in fan only mode?
bumpy

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
The AC was not running when the cord was cut. The rid was just plugged in. The cord was completely replaced with a new one of the same gauge. Everything else works perfectly now, lights, outlets, etc. Just no power seems to be going to the AC.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
also, I would take what is left of the original cord, splice the two ends back together ( assuming they are color coded, and see if it works. don't know what electrical damage would be done chopping up a cord) was the AC on/working at the time of impact? it all of the other 120 volt items still work, might have blown something in the aC.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
i'd check the continuity of all three wires from plug to outlet. did they splice the old cord back together or just replace it with a "correct" REPLACEMEnT?
what was the configuration of 30 amp service cords back then?
bumpy

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
Was the cord replaced with the same gauge wire? If the wire is too small there may not be enough current to start the compressor.
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

MrWizard
It runs off 120v not 12v
Check the circuit breakers in the RV converter power center
Move them all the way off, then back on
Check the circuit breaker in your house that feeds the outlet they are plugged into
The lights and water pump run on 12v and could be using battery power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
So we're talking the rooftop A/C unit that cools the house part of the coach (not the engine driven "dash air"), right?

OK, does this A/C have a wall thermostat to control it, or only two knobs on the unit itself, at the ceiling?

What's Make/Model of the A/C?

Usually, everything 120 Volts AC, running off that cord that got cut, is protected by Circuit Breakers, not glass fuses. Newer coaches use plug-in automotive plastic fuses for the 12 Volts DC stuff like lights. Older ones used glass fuses, but again not for 120 VAC stuff. See if you can find your "Load Center" which may be Breakers and Fuses in two separate devices/locations, or combined. Post pictures!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB