cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why are 12v. Sockets different sizes/

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
The 12 v. accessory socket on the Antenna amp. switch will only take some plugs. A lot of things will not fit. While the ones on the dash and in the coach take all. I suspect there is a good reason.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Ross
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired
11 REPLIES 11

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
While this did get off topic. My question was well answered by Mike-s

Thanks
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
We also crashed a mars lander because someone did not understand the difference between Metric and US-Only standards.. I assume he programmed inches. when mM was specified but that is a guess.

Los Angeles Times Oct 1, 1999 wrote:
NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday.

A navigation team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory used the metric system of millimeters and meters in its calculations, while Lockheed Martin Astronautics in Denver, which designed and built the spacecraft, provided crucial acceleration data in the English system of inches, feet and pounds.

As a result, JPL engineers mistook acceleration readings measured in English units of pound-seconds for a metric measure of force called newton-seconds.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IN all the world there is one country where sizes are expressed in INCHES (Feet, Yards, Rods, Furlongs, Miles and so on)

IN the rest of the world it is mM, cM, M, CM, KM and so on (I'm hitting highlights only)

THe conversion from US to Metric means you often get two sizes. Winegard is likely using the old US inch specification from way back when. Most industry today including he who made the dash socket use the World Wide Metric specification even if it is converted to Inch.

Believe it or not this is also a very tiny political issue.. It is tiny because most companies have modified to Metric standards but 50 years ago the company my Mother worked for made, among other things. Glass Basketball Backboards.. had 'em in my High School in fact.. They could not sell to the Olympics or to any gym outside the USA till they modified their size just a bit so it was cross compatible between US and European standards. That opened a whole new market for their very high quality products.

We also crashed a mars lander because someone did not understand the difference between Metric and US-Only standards.. I assume he programmed inches. when mM was specified but that is a guess. Most science uses Metric.

People say "I can never understand metric"

Two questions..or sets of questions.

1: You are going down the road when you see a flash of light (Blue) in your rear view. there he is . Officer Smiley pointing you to the curb. YOu glance at the speed limit sign (40) and at your speedometer (60). Oh boy a Tricket.
MPH or KPH? That is the question (Note 40 KPH is 25MPH if you do the math so I picked a speed limit common both in the US and Canada).

Pool of questions 2
How many pennies in a dime
How many dimes in a Dollar
How many Dollars in a 10 Spot (10 dollar bill)
How many 10's in a C-Note (Hundred dollar bill)
How many C-notes in a Grand (Thousand dollars)

You use the metric system every day. but you do not understand it
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
gbopp wrote:
36 volts seemed odd to me, 48 made more sense.

Given the fact that a 36 volt system would require three 12 volt batteries in series and a 48 volt system would require FOUR, what makes you say the 48 makes more sense?

Because 48 volts is a standard voltage for off grid battery systems. There are lots of inverters, lights, voltage converters, etc. already designed for 48 volts.

OP, sorry the tread veered off course. I too have noticed that the socket on the antenna plate is slightly smaller than the normal ones on the dash. I tried to "google" it and find out why but could never get a definitive answer.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
36 volts seemed odd to me, 48 made more sense.

Given the fact that a 36 volt system would require three 12 volt batteries in series and a 48 volt system would require FOUR, what makes you say the 48 makes more sense?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No voltage changes are being discussed publicly at least by manufacturers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Every wonder how much longer we'll continue to have 12V cars? They seem long over due for 24V or 48V not to mention electric cars.

Several years ago I read an article that said new cars would soon have 36 volt systems because of all the electronics.
I'm surprised they have not made the change. 36 volts seemed odd to me, 48 made more sense.
Yes, they're long overdue.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I've always considered it is a tight fit so the plug doesn't vibrate/bounce loose causing unnecessary service calls. Any typical 12vdc plug should fit although very tight.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Devices need less power, smaller size plugs, etc. Plus the trend towards lower voltage.

Every wonder how much longer we'll continue to have 12V cars? They seem long over due for 24V or 48V not to mention electric cars.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
manual says 7.5 amp max from that wall plate usually higher current devices have heavy duty plugs that will not fit manual