cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard DM elevation sensor . Loss of sat. signal REPAIRED

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I depress the button on the unit I get an error code. I went on the roof and checked and cleaned a connection with electronic cleaner, removed both connectors going to the circuit board as was suggested.
It is hard wired and has not had a 9 volt battery mounted to the panel.

expensive little sucker.
13 REPLIES 13

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good job!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE:

Signal restored, DM functioning TV on.

Having found and repaired a corroded connector on the DM unit on top of the coach, I decided to check the connections on the LNB.
Well, there is a coaxial cable coming through the roof of the coach which is too short to do anything,so there was a coaxial connector and 2 feet of coaxial added on to reach the LNB. The pin in the coaxial was corroded. After replacing the connector,short added on cable and cleaning the pin, I tightened then applied a little heat shrink to the piece.
Inside I went and I received 90 and above signal strength on the meters and the Tv came on.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Finding the satellite is a complicated process and not as simple as raising to the elevation shown on the DM and swinging the antenna around. You can blow right past the satellite before the meter has a chance to read anything. You can also get a strong signal from the wrong satellite. Be sure you have the receiver set to 18" round and then take your time. I suggest installing an in-line satellite signal receiver as they are instantaneous but the cheap ones still do not tell you if it's the right satellite. You have to wait and see if the receiver identifies it.
You need a good compass and you need to take the reading for the heading while outside and away from all that metal in the RV. Once you have the right heading, the satellite should be found within 20 degrees on either side of that heading and within 5 degrees higher or lower in elevation. You just have to work at it a bit at a time and very slowly. If you download and app like Augmented Reality's Dish Pointer you can see just about exactly where the satellites are but you still won't know exactly how the antenna is positioned as there is a 24 degree offset between the dish angle and the actual satellite elevation.

Using the DM I have been able to get my TV up and running within minutes. Let me tell you the sequence of events that have me where i am right now.

In my yard I have used the TV periodically to eliminate having to resend a signal to the receiver. The receiver is one that I had in my extra room in the house. The receiver was in my coach about 3 years or so.Everything was working fine. I could lock on a satellite within minutes.

I noticed the last time i set up the satellite it took longer and longer to get the receiver to actually produce a picture on the TV even with 90's or so numbers showing on the lines during signal set up..I forget the term it used, I think gathering data or something.

It then quit altogether. Good satellite signal numbers but no TV. So I took a receiver out of the bedroom and swapped it out. Once inside my home the receiver from the coach does not fire up the TV in the room. The card inside was discolored from heat or something.

So, I repaired the Dm and with your advice went out this morning to set the receiver to 18' round, or at least attempted to. Following a you tube video, I got to the part where i selected the 18" round, was instructed to click "continue" however there is a message below that states SWM not detected. The "continue" feature is not highlighted so clicking on does nothing.
I'm lost.
Appreciate your help, Bill.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finding the satellite is a complicated process and not as simple as raising to the elevation shown on the DM and swinging the antenna around. You can blow right past the satellite before the meter has a chance to read anything. You can also get a strong signal from the wrong satellite. Be sure you have the receiver set to 18" round and then take your time. I suggest installing an in-line satellite signal receiver as they are instantaneous but the cheap ones still do not tell you if it's the right satellite. You have to wait and see if the receiver identifies it.
You need a good compass and you need to take the reading for the heading while outside and away from all that metal in the RV. Once you have the right heading, the satellite should be found within 20 degrees on either side of that heading and within 5 degrees higher or lower in elevation. You just have to work at it a bit at a time and very slowly. If you download and app like Augmented Reality's Dish Pointer you can see just about exactly where the satellites are but you still won't know exactly how the antenna is positioned as there is a 24 degree offset between the dish angle and the actual satellite elevation.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
UPDATE:
Back home again, went on roof and found the connector from the inside wiring to the outside wiring corroded. Spliced 3 wires together,heat shrink, silicone and we now have the elevation meter back in service.
Still not having results with getting the satellite to talk to the receiver. Most advised to replace the LNB. I have switched out the receivers but no results.
I use the signal strength guide that is on the TV and it shows zeros until you can find a signal. I notice that the process is slower than it normally is. It doesn't scan the zero's fast enough if that makes any sense.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you use the chart a couple of times you will find that the Digital Magic device is completely unnecessary. It takes about 3 seconds to turn the necessary number of cranks and the elevation is set just as quickly as using the Digital Magic. The DM is great when setup exactly right and a disaster if it's not. Go with the chart and sit back and watch TV!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is just the sensor replaceable.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a link to the manual crank elevation chart.
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451067.pdf
If you are seeing error messages then you already have power so no battery is necessary.
If sounds like you have a bad sensor/connection on the roof as the DM is not seeing the sensor.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once the button is depressed two lines are visible then it reads e r . I installed a battery with no luck. I did read that you can count the crank rotations and it translated into a degree setting. Im going to try that once I get to the track and settled in tomorrow. They have a mobile mechanic that roams the area and has helped me out before when my fridge door fell off.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What error code is it reading?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I might try a 9 volt battery, in case there is some interference on the 12 v line
-- Chris Bryant

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good point. It still reads error code, any suggestions.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
When I depress the button on the unit I get an error code. I went on the roof and checked and cleaned a connection with electronic cleaner, removed both connectors going to the circuit board as was suggested.
It is hard wired and has not had a 9 volt battery mounted to the panel.

expensive little sucker.

Did you have a comment or question or did you fix it or what?