cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wire size for battery bank

Texas_Two_Stepp
Explorer
Explorer
If you've got 4-6v Trojan t105 batteries wired for 12v with 2/0 wire between them would 2/0 be the proper size to run back to your converter/charger which is 12' away? And I guess the hot wire would need to b fused somewhere near the batteries? This is not for me so don't assume anything from my signature.
2015 Duramax 3500 dually 4x4
2013 Excel Winslow 31RSE
TST tire monitor
Magnum MS 2012 inverter/charger
3-135w solar panels
Tristar controller
Trimetric monitor
4-6v Trojan t105 batteries
B & W companion 3000 hitch
18 REPLIES 18

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
If you go HERE
You can download a small program that will calculate (find) the proper wire size for your application.

Not sure why the clicky function is showing like that. It does work but should only show "HERE" instead of a partial url. I tried to change it several times with no luck.

EDIT fixed "clicky"
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the maximum charging amps.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I ran 8 gauge from my 45 Amp Progressive Dynamics 8245 Battery charger to my battery bank. 10 feet worth. if you have an 8280, which is capable of 80 amps charging, yep, go larger. That's wiring going for recharging electricity going into the batteries.

If this if for running your inverter to convert 12 DC to 120 AC, you'll need to go way larger in wire gauge. 2/0 or bigger? Depends on the size of the inverter and the length of the run. Heavier gauge wiring needed when you have huge draws of current coming out of the battery. You can see this just on a normal positive terminal cable, narrow gauge wire off the alternator /voltage regulator on the positive terminal, and much, much heavier gauge wire going from the battery to the starter motor.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
On edit: 2/0 is probably overkill. But if you have it on hand you may as well use it. #4 is plenty in most cases and is about max you can fit in the converter terminals. Maybe #2 if the converter is a 90amp IOTA or 100 amp WFCO or Powermax.

For maximum charging performance pull 120v wire to move the converter closer to the battery.