cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

locking up a progressive ems pt30c

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Did a search but did not find an answer. I know you can't stop a determined thief, but, I looking for a good, simple, hopefully inexpensive way to put a lock / cable / etc. on my new ems pt30c. Any creative ideas?
18 REPLIES 18

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, inside mounting would have been nice but with an 18' TT my space is pretty limited. Same thing with a long extension cord, just not a lot of room. Although, I will likely pick up a 15' 30A cord just in case I need it sometime.

I'll just lock up the EMS ( with the lock I mentioned a couple of post back ) and not worry about it. If it cost 2500 instead of 250 I would be a lot more concerned. Heck, our new chairs cost about that and we'll leave them sitting outside.

Thanks for all the input.......

GMCPU53
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine inside the TC, right by the access door, I connect a 50' 30 amp cord from the Progressive unit to the pedestal. The door is way too small for someone to get it out of the camper. Progressive unit cost a lot more than the extension cord.

Joe
2011 Silverado 3500HD LT4x4 Ext.Cab L/B SRW
2008 S&S Montana Ponderosa 8.5 FBSC

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
lock

Here is what I bought to secure the EMS. The cable actually slides through the built in lock so that it will fit in different situations requiring more or less cable. It is a bit longer than I could get by with ( 8' ). I think I will also use it to lock my propane tanks to my TT when I put it back on my storage lot rather than removing them.

PS: the one I linked to is 6', the one I bought is 8', same price

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. Think I will go with some sort of cable and lock for now. Maybe a combo of the osha lock that was posted, seemed like a good idea. won't be camping in the hood so I should be ok.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a 25-30 ft. 30 amp RV electrical cable, you could cut it into 2/3 and 1/3 lengths and attach appropriate male/female connectors on the opposite ends. Plug the 2/3 length into the pedestal, the other end into the EMS input. Tuck the EMS underneath your TT (above a frame member) out of sight. Then plug the 1/3 length into the EMS output, and the remaining end into your TT.

If they can't see it (tucked underneath the TT), they won't know it exists, and can't steal it. But, if it's hanging in plain site anywhere on the outside of your TT, IMO it's free, effective advertising. Especially if it's locked. Something hanging on the outside of your TT with a lock is a dead giveaway to a thief that they should stop and investigate.

My two cents . . .

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
"I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to run faster than you!" As long as mine is harder to take than someone else's, I figure I'm good. I use a bicycle cable and lock that I secure around the pedastal and lock into the metal plate on the cable. Still have mine after 6+ years. Can't say it's 'cuz I lock it, but.... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I have a PT 50C for 10 years out in the open and never stolen.

Same for me but something that I have is a small plastic container that covers the EMS. Not permanently installed just sort of leans against the EMS. Cut holes for the cables. Not perfect but out of sight from the road.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
AN Honest person don't need a lock to keep them honest.

We have a portable 50A that is plugged into power source and then we plug our 50A power cord into it which plugs into out rig.
Even if I used a lock/clamp device to secure the surge/power device to power cord the whole set up could be unplugged at rig and power pedestal.

So it isn't locked. Been hanging out in the open for 7 yrs. are 100's of CGs.

I just don't worry about. Lucky? Maybe. But I find that folks are pretty good about watching out for each others stuff....especially when you make a point in meeting them/introducing yourself to them when you arrive and set up. Being friendly with your neighbors goes a long way.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
At the extreme, you can have a metal shop fab you a clamshell steel box that padlocks and attaches to the frame of your rig via a high-test security chain (Grade 70.) Done right, bolt cutters won't be chopping that anytime soon, and the box will protect not just the EMS, but the two cables going into it (or at least make them unusable to a thief unless they bother adding new fittings.)

Long term, I've thought of having the EMS be a permanent install in the RV, and the external power item end up being "just" a surge suppressor. This way, less stuff sitting outside, and the same protection, plus, no matter what happens, the inside stuff is protected.

In general, if I feel like a place needs more than a theft-deterrent (which is what a Kensington lock is), I move on down the road. Life is too short to spend time and money for an arms race against the low-lifes.

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
A lock will only keep honest people honest and only slow down a determined thief. If you really are wanting true protection from dishonest people then get a built in like the HW30C which will be out of temptations sight.
Good Luck.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. I can take care of it with a trip to Lowes I think.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
The little metal piece in the picture is used with a chain and padlock to lock it to the park pedestal. A heavy duty wire cutter would take it but it would keep honest folks honest.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a PT 50C for 10 years out in the open and never stolen.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been on the road for 3 years now at a variety of places and have never had a problem or even any attempt by anyone to steal anything. We just put ours in a bay so it's out of sight.