cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bought a second truck.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

Last week I bought this 1976 Ford F-250 4-wd, gratefully it isn't a highboy. I really think I stole it after searching for another truck.

Body and paint a bit rough but very little to almost no rust.

Once I put my camper on my other truck I no longer have a PU. I've only taken the camper off of my truck once since March and I'll be using thru the end of November.

The truck needs a lot. Its been sitting outside for nearly 20 years. Started and driven a few miles about once a year.

It has a 390 2-bbl out of 1966 Mercury Monterey. Runs pretty good after giving it a tuneup.

Replaced a bunch of stuff like the grill, battery tray, dash pad, seat cover, brake/clutch pedal pads and some other misc stuff. Still have lots to go.

My new tires arrived Monday so I took some steel wool to the Dodge chrome wheels and then had the tires mounted and balanced.

I like it. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.
368 REPLIES 368

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
RanniWins wrote:
I have crazy idea of buying a truck and a trailer and have someone drive it for me while I continue to work my regular job. I don't expect to get rich from it I just wanna make some extra money. I don't wanna be tied up in a large investment so talking with the bank the investment I want to make would put me at about $1200/month. Now with paying a driver, insurance, maintenance, etc. would there be money to be made. I would probably start off with a flat bed buy it at auction on wheel and I would drive it as well but I mostly want to keep other people in it.

Say wut? Maybe go check you blood sugar or somethingโ€ฆ.

Maybe Ranni wants to buy your truck spectra?
And pay you to drive it for her??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
@spectra, back to your initial post in this thread, why are you glad it's not a highboy?

Lack of education on my part, it is a highboy. :S

That's the nickname they picked up over the years.

In one brochure just one time in maybe 1975(?) Ford referred to them as a "high lift" truck and by then they were already being called highboys.

I think that name was around in the late 60's early seventies . We always called them highboys .

RanniWins
Explorer
Explorer
I have crazy idea of buying a truck and a trailer and have someone drive it for me while I continue to work my regular job. I don't expect to get rich from it I just wanna make some extra money. I don't wanna be tied up in a large investment so talking with the bank the investment I want to make would put me at about $1200/month. Now with paying a driver, insurance, maintenance, etc. would there be money to be made. I would probably start off with a flat bed buy it at auction on wheel and I would drive it as well but I mostly want to keep other people in it.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
@spectra, back to your initial post in this thread, why are you glad it's not a highboy?

Lack of education on my part, it is a highboy. :S

That's the nickname they picked up over the years.

In one brochure just one time in maybe 1975(?) Ford referred to them as a "high lift" truck and by then they were already being called highboys.
Kenny

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator

specta
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Looks a bit lean.

Just a tad. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks a bit lean.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I went from #70 primary jets down to #68.
Here's a spark plug with a few hundred miles on it after re-jetting.
I think I'm going to go back to the #70 jets.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the comments.
Ford's seem to thrive on higher compression.
I'm sure the 10.5-1 compression helps the 410 a lot.
Kenny

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting about the various engines; it was really informative. I always knew the 390 was a good engine, but clearly the 410 is superior, and the fact that it is mated to a 4 speed manual is just the cherry on top! I can only imagine how much fun it is to drive! :B

That is really interesting that you can still get such random parts for that truck. And I agree, it looks great, but the engine bay looks fantastic! Such an awesome second life for both! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I think this body style Ford F-250 4x4 is one of the if not the best looking trucks ever built.

And if you stand far enough away even mine looks good.

It never ceases to amaze me at the tiny little parts that you can still buy for these old truck.

I just got this windshield washer hose T today. It is exactly like the original one.

So far I'm very happy with the 410. It runs great.

Checked the advance cures in the distributor today. The distributor is out of the original 360 so it has electronic ignition.

Full mechanical advance at 1600 rpm and total advance at about 2400 rpm. That works for me.

After dropping two jet sizes in the primary side and driving respectably I got 12.4 mpg on my last tank of gas. I'm good with that too.

After I get about 500 miles on the new plugs I'll pop a couple of them out and see how the look and go fro there.
Kenny

specta
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
That engine looks and sounds good.

I totally agree. Thanks once again for the great posts! The bolt post was very interesting and informative.

How does the new engine compare to the old one for power? Does it have more low end torque?

The bolts were kind of upsetting.
I have never really "enjoyed" pulling and installing engines.
At my age it just about killed me. I hurt for quite a few days.
I sent the seller a message telling him there were not the correct bolts. After a few day he sent me a refund.
I would have rather gotten a "I'm sorry" than the money.

This was the 390 in my 1963 Mercury Monterey.
4V carb, 9.7:1 compression, 300 HP and dual exhaust.

Here's the 390 in my 1972 F-250.
Stock it had 8.7:1 compression and was only rated at 160 HP. Stock it was a dog.
I installed a 428 CJ cam, 1966 390 HP intake and Holley 610 CFM carb, headers and a custom made 3" single exhaust.

The 390 2V that came in the truck was out of a 1966 Mercury Monterey.
9.5:1 compression, 270 HP and 405 lb ft torque.
Once I had it running on all 8 cylinders it actually ran pretty good.
It ate and blew oil out of the breather cap.

This 410 easily puts the others to shame. It runs extremely well and has plenty of low end torque. Its really quite fun to drive. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just going by what's posted the 410 stock had 10.5:1 compression which it still has. It was rated at 330 HP at 4600 RPM and 444 lb ft torque at 2800 RPM.

They say an RV cam adds roughly 10% more power. If that's true then the engine could have 360 HP and 490 lb ft torque. But then I live at 6000 ft so I'm sure the numbers are lower than that.

I am very pleased with the way it has turned out.

And thanks to everyone who checks out this thread and comments.
Kenny

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Plugs look like a toasted marshmallow. Perfect.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

I totally agree. Thanks once again for the great posts! The bolt post was very interesting and informative.

How does the new engine compare to the old one for power? Does it have more low end torque?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

specta
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Thank you. It runs great too. ๐Ÿ™‚

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Holley had installed bowl vent baffles back at the factory.

Dropped the primary jets from 70s down to 68s.

I installed the bowl vent tube too.

These Autolite plugs came in the 410. I swapped them out today for some Motorcraft plugs.

I am pleased with the color.
Kenny