cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy Duramax DEF issues

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have been following a thread recently on duramaxforum.com which is following people that have had DEF problems with their 2011 and newer chevy duramax trucks. I happen to be one of them. My truck is in the shop for the second time, first time they replaced the NOX sensor. 300 miles later it is back in for DEF issues and I won't know something til next week. I was wondering how wide spread it was because it is a 36 page thread and growing on duramaxforum. I would like to hear from anyone on here that has the DEF version Duramax and whether or not you have had any problems.

I was thinking maybe we could post here what your year your DEF duramax is and whether you have had problems or not, and the mileage of such problems or hopefully the mileage of trucks with no problems.

I am trying to figure out if I should keep this truck or not.

Thanks

I absolutely love this truck except when it breaks down!

2011 duramax 24k CEL NOX sensor replaced

300 miles later back in shop for DEF issue
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
72 REPLIES 72

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a real shame... GM has had enough time to resolve these DEF issues!

Not to mention the hideous tank hanging below the frame right behind the front passenger tire! :R

Not too confident the dealer will be much help!

Good luck!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

AUWing
Explorer
Explorer
66,000 miles on my '11 DuraMax without a problem
2014 Jayco 331RETS
Thermal Pane, Auto Level, Fireplace
2011 Silverado 2500HD EC Regular Box D'Max / Allison
Great wife and a good dog

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Chevy crew cab, 3500 4 by.
NOX sensor replaced due to DEF message on DIC messages. ECM was reflashed. Miles approx 21,000. Result was message went away but the power seemed to drop and I lost just over 1.5 mpg towing. At 21,500 miles, DIC message saying exhaust filter being cleaned, keep driving till messages goes away. Message never went away and truck went into "limp" mode, 30 mph top speed running without a load. Took it back to same dealer, great to work with, and they did a manual filter clean and did a new ECM flash. Only have 5 miles on it since then. Truck had run perfect up till the original DEF fiasco. The dealer tested my DEF the first time and reported it was fresh and fine.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Salty_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
2012 - 42k miles and no problems
Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
JustLabs wrote:
My 2011 has had zero issues with DEF.

how many miles on your rig?
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 had all kinds of DEF issues. Talked to an engineer at the DEF manufacturer and he said that they made 80% of all sold and that GMs were very sensitive (computer wise) to quality. Got tired of it being a "hangar queen" and bought a 6.7 Ram. Problem solved!!! Downsized due to health and traded it for a Ford F150 Ecoboost. Next, have to sell our TT as unable to do any more long trips. Will have to stick with pulling my boat.
charles weidman

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 has had zero issues with DEF.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I own a different truck, but bad DEF can be an issue. The issue is that DEF has a very specific gravity and another property that can be measured in the DEF tanks. DEF is composed of distilled water and roughly 27 to 33% aqueous ammonia. If this isn't met, it can throw off the DEF sensors causing an issue. I bought some DEF in a jug and keep re-filling them at a truck stop since it's so much cheaper there and I figure that they will have fresh DEF.

Just another thought that DEF could also have degraded. Depending on your environment, DEF has a shelf life anywhere from 6 months (if it's really hot where you live) to 2 years (if you top out at around 70 degrees on average where you live and don't have any prolonged weather spikes above 90 degrees).
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2013 3500 last spring. It now has 11K miles, no DEF issues.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Had 44,000 Mi.+ on ours no problems?oh! was a 2011.
There is a update that was run ours.

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't had any problems yet with our 2012, but we only have a little over 11,000 in 1 1/2 years. I will keep a lookout for problems now that you have brought it up.
John A. Lichty

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
A freinds kept going to the shop for def problems they finaly figured out he was getting bad def fluid

I hope that is the real issue, from what I have read that's what they say in the beginning and it goes downhill from there.
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
A freinds kept going to the shop for def problems they finaly figured out he was getting bad def fluid