cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cummins Hit with 1.7Billion for Emissions Defeat Devices

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Trucks affected are 2013 - 2023 Ram Cummins trucks.  Here we go... 

Link 

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

RAM could be on the hook too if they knew their trucks weren't emissions compliant.  And ultimately Ram was forced to fix the EcoDiesel that a lot of customers were dissatisfied with its performance.

Link 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

groover1
Explorer
Explorer

My guess is that Cummins did what got VW in trouble, that is detect whether the truck was on the road or on the test dyno and then adjust the engine settings accordingly.  It is a lot more challenging to measure emissions on the highway than on the test dyno so it is rarely done.  It could be that a programmer put in the code for that without many people knowing, figuring that no one would notice.  That is what happened at VW  Computer code can be hard to read and I am sure that there is quite a lot of for that engine.  So nobody else noticed until they went looking for it. 

Unfortunately fines don't pay for greening the planet. We need to be proactive about what is happening world wide and switch to renewable energy sources. What the company did was a deliberate attempt to cheat.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lol. So much professed knowledge of a topic with so little info available….

You know someone in the know at Cummins or the EPA or something?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

I agree, almost guaranteed that’s what happened. It’s just the leading language in the article. And the 99% bs part, is, like some of you may have experienced, I experience it regularly, some govt spec/law/mandate has some hurdle or infeasible almost impossible requirement that is of no real world benefit, even a detriment quite often, and “you” are required to work around it or solve the problem for the cheese dicks that enacted the rule/law/mandate….

And then just once in a while, the entity that was stupid and unreasonable to begin with, actually realizes it and may actually correct their errors, but “you” are still left holding the bag for all the expense incurred to “your” private company. 
I’m not anti emissions by any means….lol (don’t look at my truck too hard….) I’m just anti stupidity as I’ve dealt largely with government contracts my entire career. And it’s a constant battle between good and practical vs the opposite. 
That’s why I said earlier, it’s simply pay to play. Not a crime, no one was killed or even damaged emotionally. It’s just financial risk and responsibility. 
too many try to assign some moral value to things like this. Generally only those who are woefully ignorant or those who think they hold some greater purpose of tryin to control others. 

Yes it’s a large financial hit, on the surface. Like roughly equal to a years profit. But it’s not that cut and dry. It will be appealed and battled out in court and behind closed doors as well. 
whatever….just need to remember to NEVER take my ‘16 Ram to a dealer now. 
They might neuter it and turn it into a lamb not a Ram! lol 

Pretty sure cummins agreed to pay the $1.7B

chevman
Explorer II
Explorer II

our world is falling apart.

chevman

You think .😀

You’re so right buddy. The govt is a literal gong show in so many levels.

Like this example that caught @FishOnOne attention. 
Ya just know it’s 99% bullchit and 1% technicality. 
just like the other 2 engine suppliers for light duties. Nothing but clean tailpipes with some emissions issues. 
Hell, the govt didn’t “notice this” for 10 years?  Whatever…it’s ubsurd. And Cummins is just paying to play the game. 
Happens in my industry too. Been blackmailed into “deals” with the threat of sanctions or levied “violations” or fines for things that weren’t wrong to begin with. Seen the courts uphold the wrong side of the law out of “sympathy” when serious consideration should have been made to consider the claim frivolous, not the other way around. 
I mean what magic “defeat” device that they have to be so cryptic about spurred this? Generally if one has to be cryptic, they’re either lying or at least not in the right. Just sayin

chevman
Explorer II
Explorer II

more power over the people.

chevman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

happens all the time. You just don’t see it unless you spend your days surfing YouTube, lol. 

And not just in this industry.  At the end of the day, it’s cheaper to pay the toll than fight it in court…
It’s unfortunate that we have our own govt to thank directly for kicking up the prices of trucks another notch with this little charade. 

So who eventually pays the fine? Oh yes, the person who buys something powered by Cummins.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

RAM could be on the hook too if they knew their trucks weren't emissions compliant.  And ultimately Ram was forced to fix the EcoDiesel that a lot of customers were dissatisfied with its performance.

Link