cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have TTs gotten any better?

LabLover99141
Explorer
Explorer

My husband and I full timed for 5 years in a 34' Cougar and loved it.  When we finally planted, we tried a TT with sway bars for all of about 2-3 trips and hated it. We're now looking at a Arctic Fox 29-5K fifth wheel for more elbow room.  Before we take the plunge, has anything improved in travel trailer towing?

6 REPLIES 6

JDsdogs
Nomad II
Nomad II

I’m with the rest on this issue. The correct set up is of upmost importance. 

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

It has always been "Buyer Beware". 

My first Rockwood tent-trailer, purchased in 1978, came with a a standard starting battery, not a deep-cycle battery.

The battery lasted less than a season. I would be careful with the newer RVs. Manufactures are cutting corners to keep the cost down.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

I believe he is referring to how they tow and not much has changed.

As far as batteries, for the typical guy who goes from modern campsite to modern campsite, there is really no need to upgrade to deep cycle batteries. If they die in a year, either you are boondocking and leaving them depleted or your battery charger has failed...either item can kill much more expensive deep cycle batteries.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II

I agree with the two previous posts. Nothing has really changed; you need tot have the proper tools, setup correctly. Lacking that causes issues with towing wether it’s a TT or 5er.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

Better? Not really. I agree with Valhalla, it's all about the right equipment. TTs and FW's will always tow fine provided they are loaded correctly and in specs. Likewise you have to have the right tool for job - ie - truck. A FW or TT overloaded, tire psi not set right, unbalanced weight and/or a truck that is not up to specs to tow the weight will result in an experience that is not fun or plain dangerous. Right equipment, set up right will tow fine. I don't feel like that's anything new. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Travel trailers tow just fine. We had 60mph cross winds on a prior trailer...we got off the road as soon as possible but no sway. Most problems can be traced to incorrect setup. The biggest issue is getting enough tongue weight.  At 12 to 15%, it won't sway at all.  This presumes you aren't skimping on the truck. An overloaded truck can be uncomfortable.  A properly set up wdh helps but won't overcome a light tongue weight or overloaded truck. 

Fifth wheels tend to be much more forgiving because they start around  20-25% pin weight.  The big catch is you need a truck capable of handling the pin weight. This usually pushes you to a 3/4 tongue for smaller 5ers and quickly jumps up to 1 ton dually as you get larger. 

A 10k trailer will need about 1200-1500 lb with travel trailer or 2000-2500 lb with 5er. Obviously some info on truck and trailer can dial in a suggestion better. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV