cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new camper

MorganLunceford
Explorer
Explorer

Hello, my wife and I just got engaged and we are planning on living in a travel trailer but we are unsure how to choose one . We are both 22, and just wanting something that we could live in for a few years while we save money and find the right location to fully reside in. I drive a 2021 Chevy 2500 that can handle about 10,000 pounds and I have experience with trailers. I was wondering if anyone could point us in the right direction about how to choose based on a few of our interests. We want to stay under $40,000 and buy relatively new. We are planning on fully living out of it and it will mainly stay in 1 spot except for a few holiday trips to neighboring states. We both like to cook so a kitchen is important and having outdoor awnings as well. We just want something comfortable, low maintenance, and fun to have for the next 20 years. Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

I agree with @StirCrazy . Go shopping. Go inside. Kick off your shoes. Sit on the couch. Lay on the bed. Spend some time inside. 

For sure these are not meant for full time living. Picking one unit to last you 20 years is unrealistic especially if you plan to live in it full time for 20 years. You'll have to be VERY gentle in your use to have one last you 5 years of full time. They only last 20 years if you use them rarely and store them indoors.

If you've got $40,000 to spend use it as a down payment on a house. You won't be able to save a dime for that house making payments on a $40,000 RV loan and another $40,000 vehicle loan. You'll also have a hard time qualifying for that eventual home loan with no history of renting and no permanent residence. I'm not saying don't do it, but you do have to consider the consequences of your choices.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

Most trailers are not designed for full-time living. I would hope you are going to have in in a state that foes not drop below 32 degrees. Before spending the money, I would find a park / location that is not too expensive to be living there. Without that you are wasting money for nothing affordable to stay.

If you find a trailer that will work, check out all equipment: electrical, plumbing, to make sure everything works. It's too late after spending the money.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

If you are trying to save money, $40k is way too much. Look for a used unit in the $10-15k range. 99% of what you need to watch for is water damage, so you may have to look at many units. Odds are very low that the unit you buy to live in for a couple years will be the same as what you use to travel in for the next couple decades. Doubly so, since you don't know what you like/don't like about your prior RVs.

They all have roughly the same kitchen appliances and they have awnings, so that doesn't make much difference. Find a unit with the layout you like that doesn't have water damage and its a good first pick.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

your best bet is to start going to dealers and looking at different camper they have, the most important thing is finding the layout you want first then you have a starting point to look at trailers with simular layouts to narrow down the features and pricepoint you want.  I have alway found it better to buy from a dealer , even used, over a privat sale, but thats just me others may have different opinions.  when you do find that almost new rv that you like make sure to have a good inspaction done on it for signs of water leakes and what not.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100