cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram truck ABS/HCU recall

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer

Ram announced last week a massive 1.2 M vehicle recall for year model 2019, 2021-2024  half-ton trucks. This is in addition to a previous recall of 306K 2021-23 2500-5500 model trucks. The Dodge Durango is also included in their own recalls of various year models.

However, the defective ABS/HBU issue has existed to at least 2017, possibly earlier, but Stellantis has refused to address these trucks yet. There has even been a class action lawsuit filed against the manufacturer. 

For those unaware, it can & will affect ABS, cruise control, sway control, 4WD. I have a 2018 2500 experiencing all these issues, yet so far Ram is avoiding the 2017-18 MY, even though the exact same pieces are used across several year models.

If you have the same year model trucks and have experienced these issues, PLEASE file a complaint with the NHTSA. https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index. So far there have been 1740 complaints filed, which means that this # is woefully underreported and (3) active investigations. If you are currently experiencing issues, PLEASE report to the NTHSA, even if you've had it repaired. If you had to pay for the repair yourself, which isn't cheap, then you should get reimbursed once a recall has been issued.  If you haven't had the problems yet, just wait because it's coming.

After that, it comes down to hounding the NHTSA into action because lives will be lost, people injured for life and property lost because of their inaction. Please help me on this crusade to get all defective trucks repaired. 

After you've filed your complaint, join me in a letter writing campaign to the:
US Dept of Transportation
NHTSA Office of Defects Investigations (NVS-210)
1200 New Jersey Ave
SE West Building
Washington, DC 20590

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
1 REPLY 1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Well, having 2016 and 2017 Ram trucks I hope they continue working as designed. 
So your truck is out of warranty and you paid for the repair at the dealer? Or gonna?

New Mopar Parts HCU is $184 online. Bet a decent Indy shop would swap er out if you canโ€™t self perform that. Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s a bit involved, but thatโ€™s where Iโ€™d head if I had that problem. Complaining about it and writing โ€œletters to congressโ€ seems unproductive to solving your issue at hand. 
thank you for the warning though. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold