cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

04 Chev 1500 as a tow vehicle 8000lb camper

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
Up until this year we have had our camper setup on a seasonal site (Outback 312BH), and do to other commitments we decided to pull out of the seasonal site so we could travel with the kids sports. I spent many hours on camper forums to see if we need to trade our rig for a 2500 or if you could get by with our truck. almost every forum I read said it is a bad idea and way too much camper for our truck, and would be a very unpleasant experience. We were ready to trade for an older 2500, but decided not to. This past weekend was our 2nd trip out and we were very impressed with how well our truck did. we had no problem at all with the hills, maintained a decent speed on the hardest hills, and very little swaying. The Z71 in this year has larger disk brakes front and back than the normal 1500 so braking was no problem at all either. I really dont find towing this camper any worse than our old coachman 230bh (4500lbs). I must say that so far we really like this combination TV and camper. Thought I would share in case anyone else is in the same situation

Truck:
2004 Chev Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew cab
5.3 auto, 3.73 gears
285/75/17 10 ply tires
extra leaf, CIA and throtle body spacer

Camper:
2014 Keystone Outback 312bH
36 feet from hitch back
aprox 8000lbs loaded
Shawn
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 230BH LTZ
2004 Silverado 1500 CrewCab 5.3
56 REPLIES 56

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Let us know how things go, like your new rig.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
I just googled salt river canyon, don't think i would attempt that with my current tv but looks awesome, you should have a great time
Shawn

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
I’d say tow it for a while and see how it goes. Try Salt River Canyon :). Tomorrow that is where I’m going.
—> https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26444044.cfm

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
Is that with your current truck?
Shawn

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I changed mine every year. The magnet had lots of metal on it every year... And not all that many miles. That TT never left the state, and I have a 3 mile work commute. 3 or 4 years and the diff was toast. And that was a 12 bolt with a 7K TT.

Keep an eye on it.
zed1k wrote:
I just changed the diff fluid, looks great no metal on the magnet at all, good sign i guess
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed the diff fluid, looks great no metal on the magnet at all, good sign i guess
Shawn

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
So many armchair drivers,
So little experience driving his combo.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
....snip.....
Your a brave lad coming on a rv forum and brag about your 1/2 ton combo.

Or, he wants to rattle the cage of folks who are pretty sure a fifteen year old 1500 series truck that is probably over on three out of four ratings is not a good choice for towing over 8,000 pounds. He got a few of us to take the bait.

Thanks...that reply make my point of my post.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
zed1k wrote:
AppFire wrote:
Dangerous, just plain dangerous.....

Please explain, my truck maintains highway speed with low rpm, i have an upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, and the trailer has absolutely no sway. We all cant afford 3500 diesels, but my trailer tows great with what i have. Might be different if i planed a trip across the country

nore do most of us need a 3500 diesel for the 3 camping trips a year lol.

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
....snip.....

Or, he wants to rattle the cage of folks who are pretty sure a fifteen year old 1500 series truck that is probably over on three out of four ratings is not a good choice for towing over 8,000 pounds. He got a few of us to take the bait.

That was not my intention, but after reading your reply I guess it does sound like a bad idea. I did try to downgrade to a smaller unit, but was offered about half of what i owe towards a second hand smaller one. My truck is only used to haul the camper, so it is hard to justify buying a new one.
Shawn

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Going from a Tundra to my current truck and experiencing similar tow weights, I’ll say that is a LOT of trailer, especially for an older 1/2 ton which lacks the towing capacity of the newer 1/2 ton trucks. The Nissan HD with the 5.0 CTD is one 1/2 that would tow that trailer fine. Unfortunately it cost as much as my RAM, so maybe not so good.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
....snip.....

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks have preconceived ideas about 1/2 ton trucks even though like yours its working fine and not overloaded.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you towed my trailer you would be surprised how lite it feels
Shawn

zed1k
Explorer
Explorer
AppFire wrote:
Dangerous, just plain dangerous.....

Please explain, my truck maintains highway speed with low rpm, i have an upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, and the trailer has absolutely no sway. We all cant afford 3500 diesels, but my trailer tows great with what i have. Might be different if i planed a trip across the country
Shawn