cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1972 Amerigo Camper Rebuild

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
After posting a few comments on another thread, I decided to start this one under a topic more easily recognized. I also have started a blog at: http://www.tcreviver.com. Okay, MKish, here it is. I'll post to it whenever I get a chance. -Carey
'03 Ford F-350 7.3 LB SRW. Ride Rites.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130
New rig 2017 Jayflight 31QBDS
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
394 REPLIES 394

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of good pics, could you send me one shot front to back looking down the galley side? Thanks. Carey.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys-

I am anxious to start the project as soon as i find/MAKE the time...

First on the list is to get her supported better here in the shop. I certainly don't trust these wobbly ol' original jacks as the only means of support! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

....and the big question: why is there only THREE?? ugh

The single, driver's side one in particular was a huge PIA when we were loading the TC up and the tire was right on top of one of the 3 jack legs.

Anyway, I have future plans to swap them out for a set of FOUR new ones before she goes out on her maiden voyage. I am pretty sure I will do the swing-out brackets in the front, as there is a good chance she will be going on a dually.

Not too sure I wanna' plunk down the big buck$ for a set of remote control electric jacks...so I am leaning more towards a decent set of manually cranking ones.

The big question for that is: do i install the rear jacks at the VERY rear of the camper (the rear overhang) like i see is done with the newer TC's? Is it safe to do that and NOT support the rear part of the wings?

I have plans to take a couple hrs later today to fabricate a support system for the TC floor. This wooden support system will rest on these (4) heavy duty steel car dollies that I made a few years ago so I can move the TC around the shop if I need to. I will still utilize the 3 factory supports of course, and i plan to support the rear overhang as well.

Right now, i don't even want to go inside the TC as it's only supported by the three wobblies! And I sure as heck would NEVER even think about laying underneath the floor part right now....I'd be flat as a pancake if one of these old jacks failed! ...and then I wouldn't be able to post any more pics that are better than 2cknight's pics. ๐Ÿ˜•

Heheh...:-p

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
Roger, if thats in as good a shape as it looks, you got a nice one.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Wow Roger, you really got a gem. Looks like the original floor. Hope the fridge and ac work okay. I'm turning green. You also took better pics than I did. I may have to use them instead of mine when I start on the interior. Good Luck with her. Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
That sheer amount of room and floor plan was one of the big reasons I originally wanted to find one of those big snap n nap rigs, but was never able to.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if the pics are too big...(still getting used to this):

Looks purty dry in there...so that's a good sign!

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
Test:

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the well wishes and prayers, guys. Rog, glad to hear you survived the storm, and also glad to hear you're going to get your lady. Good luck with her. I've decided to get mine dried in again before really cold weather. After that,I might hold off until after Christmas. Since my cash flow went down the tube, I guess I'll check out the existing water heater and see if I can get it going, as well as the old furnace. I had hoped to replace both with new DSI units, but if these will work, I've saved a few hundred bucks. I like to tinker with stuff like that, too. I have some part time work lined up out of town later this week and the latter part of next week, so my time right now is still kind of limited. I've also got to spend some time looking for a job. Guess you could say that's Job One for now. Anyway I'll do a little along and keep the blog going. You two keep posting, I need the inspiration. -Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
HudsonValleyRog wrote:
Sorry to hear about that, Carey...good luck to you. ?

I am actually heading north west today to bring my 72' Amerigo HOME...finally! I was happy to hear that she survived Sandy (as did I, as I was MUCH more fortunate than so many others were with this devastating storm).

I borrowed my buddy's 99' Chevy 2500 (long bed, diesel) for the job. Although I have a 2500 long bed myself, it has a service body (which is a few inches taller than a standard truck bed) as well as a tall upper tool box and a heavy duty steel rack that's all bolted down real well....so I will be on the lookout come Spring for more suitable truck camper truck! I am thinking either a low-profile service body (hard to find it seems), or a flatbed...we'll see.

We're waiting to see the pics, be safe on the trip

HudsonValleyRog
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about that, Carey...good luck to you. ?

I am actually heading north west today to bring my 72' Amerigo HOME...finally! I was happy to hear that she survived Sandy (as did I, as I was MUCH more fortunate than so many others were with this devastating storm).

I borrowed my buddy's 99' Chevy 2500 (long bed, diesel) for the job. Although I have a 2500 long bed myself, it has a service body (which is a few inches taller than a standard truck bed) as well as a tall upper tool box and a heavy duty steel rack that's all bolted down real well....so I will be on the lookout come Spring for more suitable truck camper truck! I am thinking either a low-profile service body (hard to find it seems), or a flatbed...we'll see.

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
Carey, sorry to hear about the job, keep your head up, maybe in the next week well get some good news from the top and see some of that "change" we were promised 4 years ago. My family will be praying that you will find a new job soon.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't get a chance to work on her this week. It was a crazy week. We didn't send trucks out this week because of the storm up north. I finally worked Wednesday and my truck broke down. I sat on the side of the road six hours, first waiting for a service truck, then waiting on a wrecker. Normal 9 1/2 hour run took 15 1/2 hours. Then I get back to the terminal to find out that the company is closing the doors the next day. I'm officially out of work now. I don't know how that's going to affect my project, other than give me more time to work, however, the work is dependent on cash income. Luckily, I have found some part time work for the next two weeks. I'll also sign up for unemployment this week. First time in 47 years. Keep me in your prayers. Thanks. Carey
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
the piano hinge is what caused my breaks, I got to looking good and close after I got the 'nap off the back, the hinge is froze solid, so every time it was opened it twisted the frame inside until it broke. Now to reuse the 'nap I have to find a hinge :(. The 1/4 inch fiber glassed plywood is working well so far on mine, My siding had so many tears in it that it was no longer useable. It take alot of fiberglass tho to do the whole thing but it should be REALLY water tight.

2cknights
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet Tater, All my welds on the frame underneath are solid. I opened it and looked yesterday. What's broken on mine are the piano hinges. I think that's because the P.O. used it primarily for beach fishing. They are really corroded. I plan to replace them with stainless. I think everything else is solid in there. I can't find any soft spots, and am tempted to leave it all intact. I've been looking at the sheet metal and am thinking of maybe using 1/4" fiberglassed plywood to go back with,on the sides anyway. I just hate to loose the original look, plus I don't think I could make the bend look right on the bottom of the Snap N Nap. I really don't need the rear bunk and had decided to do away with it, but it might make a resale easier someday, so I guess I'll keep it. -C
Old rig '99 Lance 1130

Sweet_Tater
Explorer
Explorer
Didnt you tell me that you had a few broken spots in your snap and nap?, did you see how I fixed mine? Theres a few pics of it on my thread, but basically I used 1" L and T brackets. Seems like its gonna work pretty well.