cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011 Ford V8/5.0 TT Package 3.73 31ft Cougar lite 7800 max

baitboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never pulled with a half ton --Does anyone have experience towing with the V8/5.0?? Need opinions concerning the above combination. HELP!!!
35 REPLIES 35

missionman
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my #6500 TT with a 2011 3.55 5.0 4x4 SCAB F150 regular tow pckg. note* I bought the truck before the TT not knowing the true dynamics of tow capacity and payload. 5.0 payload isn't good without the max payload option. I was within 100-200#'s of my GVWR with passengers/cargo/TT tongue weight.

Upgraded the truck after driving in the Adirondack/finger lake region. Need over 4k rpms to get to the meat of the torque to get up long grade changes and even had to romp on it to get up to highway speed. Once you were cruising it was okay, it would gear hunt even with 6th locked out but expected with high revving V8. You knew the trailer was in tow with the 5.0, or even hauling a load (pavers, topsoil, etc.) It got the job done though. Couple that with the 147" wheelbase and I was ready to upgrade.

The 5.0 drivetrain will get the job done but doesn't really feel comfortable towing/hauling at its towing/payload limits, YMMV.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that without more details it's tough to say for sure. We tow with an '03 F150CC, 5.4, factory tow, forget what the rear end is. Truck is rated for 8000#. Our 26' Rockwood is GVWR at 6629#. You need to check your ratings as it sounds like you're awfully close to max and max is not where you want to be. You need some wiggle room, as in about 1000# or a certain %, which I can't recall. Suggest you get some more numbers and you'll get more detailed info. Be sure to check for payload.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
baitboy wrote:
I have never pulled with a half ton --Does anyone have experience towing with the V8/5.0?? Need opinions concerning the above combination. HELP!!!

Not enough information, Crew Cab, Extended Cab, Regular Cab, 2WD, 4WD, Heavy Duty Payload Package, 5.5' or 6.5' bed. Then what's going to be in the truck, family, camping gear, Truck Cap, Hard Tonneau cover or Soft tonneau cover.

For my truck in my signature with my 800 lbs of family, gear, and truck accessories, that trailer would be to heavy. I would be over my GVWR.

With my trailer, the truck pulls it effortlessly with a lot of reserve power for hills, mouintains, and wind.

My tow review on my truck.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Likes2camp
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded in our 2013 F150 EcoBoost with max trailer package (rated to tow 11,300#) for a 2014 Ram 2500 diesel 6.7 because tho' Ford gave it's blessing on our plan to buy a 7200# (dry) trailer, after we bought the trailer and began to tow it (8060 loaded), we were unable to feel confident when going down hill. Truck pulled without issue climbing hill, but wandered in its lane coming down. Same route taken with 2500 using exhaust brake without issue; felt comfortable descending 6% grade. When problem solving our towing issues many experienced towers encouraged us to move to a 3/4 ton for our weight trailer.

1wayhighway
Explorer
Explorer
We pull a new jayco white hawk with our 150. Trailer weighs in at around 6500 loaded and it pulls it without any issues. It has a taken a little while to get the WDH dialed in but it pulls great. Don'tt get me wrong you know it's there and we don't get in a hurry to go anywhere but starting and stopping is no problem.
Ford F150, 5.0, Screw, 3.55
White Hawk 28DSBH

JFHenne
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using an '08 F150 with the 5.4 V8, 3:73 axle and 7200# trailer package. I pull a 6,000# Jayco, 27' and the truck handles it just fine. I have a load distributing hitch. Could wish for better mileage, I guess, at 12 mpg+, but all things considered I think this is a pretty good rig.
The Hennes - John & Robin
Jayco Jay Feather 25Z