cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Shadow Cruiser Axles

Canuckss
Explorer
Explorer
So i get back after my week long trip and get the trailer in the driveway to unload and happen to notice. All 4 of my tires are worn completely down on the inside edges and the belts have separated from 2 of the four tires. Call the dealer as i read on here about the axles possibly not beefy enough for the unit and asked if there was a recall. He told me not "officially "but they have had a "number" of units in with this problem already ranging from only 500km on the units to 3000km.Talk about a safety problem, Told me to bring it in Monday and they would order 2 new axles and 4 new tires. Good thing my wife is due with our second child in the next few weeks as he told me it would be there for close to a month till the get the parts in and hopefully i did not have any more trips planned. He also mentioned that numerous other dealers are not pleased with Cruiser LLC with getting them all sorted out with warranty claims and dropping the ball on building this unit as it is there best seller and they way things are designed to try and fix are a mess. Needless to say check with your dealer if you have a shadow cruiser and get this sorted out before you end up having serious issues down the road. Will see how it all goes Monday when i drop it off, thats my rant for the night.
48 REPLIES 48

2littletime
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2013 Fun Finder (Cruiser RV) I wanted to change my Chine bearings to Timken. I called Lippert and gave the serial no. that was on the tag, that was on the axel. She verified that I had the 3,500 lbs. axel, but they had 2,800 lbs. springs. So if it came with the 3,500 springs, might have been to stiff for the trailer weight.
2013 Fun Finder 214 WSD
2007 Chevy 1500 TV
2005 Chevy Tahoe TV
Equalizer 1,000 lb.
Prodigy 2

Squirlian
Explorer
Explorer
I can't believe Cruiser RV would claim no issues, I AM very happy that you were able to get new axles from Lippert. My warranty had to pay for the install.

Tacky
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Cruiser RV on this, and they were not very helpful, they assured me that they never had any axle problems, and if I felt I had an issue I should contact Lippert, the axle manufacturer. When I contacted Lippert, it was a whole 'nother story. They were very interested in my issue, and within a few days I had 2 new axles and hardware kits for installation. I am sure they would have paid for installation, but I preferred to do the repair myself. I am very pleased with the response that I got from Lippert. Kudos to them!
Shiawassee County, Michigan

Tacky
Explorer
Explorer
Squirlian wrote:
Hey Tacky, just curious, how many miles do you have on your trailer?

Our axles went very early on, less than 1000 miles.

I would guess I have about 2500 miles on it, but I did ask my dealer to look at the tires because they seemed to be wearing rapidly, while still under warranty, with probably about 1000 miles.

Squirlian
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Tacky, just curious, how many miles do you have on your trailer?

Our axles went very early on, less than 1000 miles.

Tacky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Shadow Cruiser 285RLS, and I also have axle issues. I did comment to my dealer that tires seemed to be wearing excessively while it was still in warranty, but now the axles are visibly bent. We will see what my dealer and Cruiser RV will do for me.

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
We had ours replaced but we are the original owners. Cruiser RV covered both the cost of the new axles and the labor.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

ahatfield1
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2012 Shadow Cruiser 280 QBS. It was used. After 3 trips we noticed the insides of the tires are worn. After reading these forums I have called both Cruiser RV and Lippert. Both are well aware of the problem. Cruiser RV said they would not do anything for me since I am the 2nd owner. Lippert said they could possibly supply the axles free of charge but would not pay for labor. I have it at the dealer now and we are trying to get the extended warranty to cover it. The dealer is saying we should try aligning and calibrating first before getting new axles. Has any one else tried that?

Rider_02
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2013 280QBS and had a tire blow on the highway a few weeks ago. There is only about 2000km on this trailer and the other tires seem to be wearing funny. The power awning has quit working after only being used once, warranty is covering that but it has been in the shop for 3 weeks now and no parts yet. I am going to try to get warranty on tires and get the axles changed too. It seems the water pump doesn't pick up the bottom 1/3 of the tank, I had to put 7 jugs of antifreeze in it before the pump picked it up. I am pretty disappointed with this trailer, we will see how the warranty pans out.

Guapotims
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Shadow Cruiser S 285 RLS

This is what I have:

(expletive here)

colemanfun
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if new 2013 Cruiser RVs are manufacturered with the correct heavier duty axles instead of the lighter ones.

Squirlian
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Sticker issue as well, but I called them on it as I found a recall notice on RVTravel.com's weekly newsletter!

Windmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. Cruiser RV is now saying that the 4370 GAWR on the VIN sticker is a "typo" and they are willing to send me a new sticker with a "corrected label" Is that legal?

Cruiser is avoiding all responsibility because I was out of the one year warranty period (by 6 months). They say there was an issue with the steel Lippert used in the axles, and are putting it back on Lippert.

Meanwhile, Lippert has said they will send me replacement axles at no cost, still rated at 3500 lbs but with 3" beams instead of 2.375" beams like the current ones. They will not cover labor to install them because I do not have photos of the bald tires that I replaced after 3800 miles.

At this point, I would not buy another Cruiser RV product.

Squirlian
Explorer
Explorer
The Shadow cruiser's were built with the smaller Lippert 3600 axles, Cruiser RV replaced mine with the Lippert 5200 ones at no charge they also replaced all my burned up tires due to the axle bow issue. on a side note...Lippert does not stock axles, so once Cruiser RV determined the axles had to be replaced there was a 3-4 week wait while the 5200 lb axles were manufactured and shipped