cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Keystone Passport Delamination

BZ_MAN
Explorer
Explorer
Went and grabbed my 2015 Passport from storage today and noticed what looks to be delamination.

I just can't believe that this happened so fast. This just came off the line May 16th. I plan to contact the dealer first thing in the morning to see what the next step is. Will this be covered by the warranty?
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Vortec Max
2015 Keystone Passport 3320BH
2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS - Sold
20 REPLIES 20

herbertexx
Explorer
Explorer
I posted the 2013 Passport possible delamination problem earlier today and forgot to mention that there is no water damage. Everything looks leak proof and secure.

herbertexx
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Keystone Passport 21'express Ultralite which seems to have a delamination issue on the rear end. On a 400 mile hot day I saw 2 large horizontal bulges near the middle and slightly higher up. They went away after getting home and out of the sun. When I press there seems to be some give not like the solid feel on sides and front. I am trying to determine if the back wall is so constructed, free floating, or if it delamination. Keystone says take to the dealer whiches is a 300 mile round trip. I am trying to determine if I have a problem or not. Any ideas out there?

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the home building business and sometimes fixing a small issue (if it is just cosmetic) is worse than leaving it along. Things almost never go back together correctly the 2nd time the way they were done originally.. (EX: They damage something else not related to the problem. Get things dirty, loose, etc..) I agree, not pretty and I hope they take their time and fix it right.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
Call the manufacturer then email them the photo. You can bet they will not be happy about this being all over the net. This is a very active forum. They have probably already lost some potential customers, they will probably be anxious to make you happy. If they are smart, that is.

I was in love with the Passport 2890RL floor plan. The weight is right for the truck and it's nicer than what we have. After reading the forums and seeing the issues with the brand, we decided to keep ours.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

BZ_MAN
Explorer
Explorer
I finally have an update on the delamination. The dealer called yesterday and said that they are going to replace the entire front cap under warranty. They are still offering to store it for free all winter while they fix it (which I will get in writing) so I think I am going to go that route.

I love the rig, but it is starting to give me gray hairs. Power awning motor quit a few weeks back, which was fixed under warranty and I just found one of the rear slide seals is torn. We're going to get the seal fixed asap, but the delam is going to wait until winter as that is a much bigger job and the source of the leak that caused it has been fixed.

dadof6
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry to hear the dealership is giving you the run around. I bought my 14 Passport from Lakeshore RV in MI. I've called them twice with rookie questions and was walked step by step through the issue. (First was water heater and the other was clogged toilet.) I hope you take the advice of these veterans as they've helped me a ton also.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
BZ MAN wrote:
Well the dealer ended up fitting us in on Friday and they took pictures and are sending it to Keystone; so we are waiting to hear back. Since we have so many trips planned this season they proposed that once we are done with it for they year we drop it off and they said that they would store it for free all winter and take care of all of the issues that we have found. That sounded good to me and the wife. Just as long as Keystone approves the repair. I hope to know in the next week or so what they say.

Post back on what you learn from Keystone and the dealer. If nothing else, you'll perhaps discover exactly how the front cap is constructed.

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
BZ MAN wrote:
Well the dealer ended up fitting us in on Friday and they took pictures and are sending it to Keystone; so we are waiting to hear back. Since we have so many trips planned this season they proposed that once we are done with it for they year we drop it off and they said that they would store it for free all winter and take care of all of the issues that we have found. That sounded good to me and the wife. Just as long as Keystone approves the repair. I hope to know in the next week or so what they say.

Just a warning, make sure you have something, perhaps in writing, that the dealer will store it for free for you. I had a issues with our old hybrid where we made a similar deal; the dealer will fix the issues I found during the summer over the fall and I could leave it there during the winter. When spring came and I went to pick up the trailer, they tried to charge me for storage, $400. They said I should have picked it up during the winter when the repairs where done, even though they said it was OK to leave it there. In the end I had to get Dutchmen to help, which they did and advised the dealer not to charge me, they would pick up the cost for the dealer taking so long to repair it...
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

BZ_MAN
Explorer
Explorer

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not delamination because it is not laminated, and not structural.

I often see wrinkles in that part of a TT with that type of construction, usually not so pronounced. It might have (probably did?) come out of the factory like that and nobody paid attention until now.

The factory might pay to have the dealer take it apart and try to stretch and retrim it so that it looks better, but I'd be tempted not to do that. A friend bought a Sprinter with wrinkles, and after a few months of hemming and hawing about whether or not it was really a problem, the factory paid for a dealer to fix it. After fixing it, they had problems with seam leaks. No problems before the fix.

They dumped the trailer and switched to a Jayco, saying they wouldn't buy again from a Thor company. I think not all Thor companies are run the same, and all brands have issues. My friends, after two years with there current TT, are finding assorted details, engineering choices and construction, saying "this is supposed to be a good trailer, they shouldn't have made it like that."

The point being, you will find that you have issues with almost all of them, particularly matters of appearance and "they should have done that better." Sometimes something doesn't need to be fixed, sometimes you can fix something yourself to make it better. Makes a lot of people unhappy with the RV industry, but it is all about managing costs to meet the price points at which we will buy.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bnk190
Explorer
Explorer
What dealership are you working with?

On the other hand I can understand that a dealer may not be able to get you in same day or next day but they should be able to get you an appointment to at least have it looked at and either put your mind at ease that it's ok and normal or no this needs to be fixed and schedule time for the repair.

Hopefully by now you have heard back from them.

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
You call the dealer. If they do not set up appointment immediately; call the manufacturer. Email pictures, name, address, phone number of dealer where and when you bought it, and find all your paperwork, warranties and any other documents you have that pertain to the trailer. Hopefully by now you have heard from the dealership owner.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Call the manufacturer then email them the photo. You can bet they will not be happy about this being all over the net. This is a very active forum. They have probably already lost some potential customers, they will probably be anxious to make you happy. If they are smart, that is.

tkoden
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is starting to do the same thing in a small area. I have a laundry list of stuff I want fixed under warranty. The soonest I could get in is mid October. Since not of the issues are too major I just scheduled the appointment. I have had my trailer for about 6 months.