cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Yukon XL

Knminton
Explorer
Explorer
I have a post about TV selection, and I still plan to purchase a heavier TV at some point. That being said, I am toying with the idea of picking up a travel trailer in the neighborhood of 4730 UVW/6800 GVW and towing with our 2015 Yukon XL. My Yuke does not have the heavy trailering package, therefore, it is downrated to 5,000 or 6,000 lbs depending on which literature I refer too (GMC trailer guide says 5,000, manual says 6,000). As far as I can tell, the only difference is in gearing and the integrated brake controller. So mine has 3.08's, and upgrading should put the rating at 8,000 if my thinking is correct. The heavy trailering package includes 3.42's.

With all that being said, if I go this path for the short term, I will upgrade the gears, but would probably step up to 3.73's if I'm going through with it. That should be comfortable at the weights above and still repeatable cruising RPMs at highway with the six speed. Any thoughts on this?

How are the thoughts in the stock anti-sway? Is an upgrade in order? What about airbags or other suspension thoughts?

I will probably get an autocal tuner from BB so I can put it back to stock easily for service.

Amy thoughts on stock CAI and exhaust? Are they fairly good or is there value in upgrading?

Should I consider transmission cooler or any other accessories?
Kerry - 40
DW - 39
DS - 13
DS - 5
DD - 4
DD - 3
DD - 7 mos.
Boxer + 2 lil rescued mutts
2015 Yukon XL (wife's ride)
Looking to purchase 2009-2013 Suburban 2500 for TV/DD
21 REPLIES 21

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not headed for the mountains, you could tow the trailer you are describing. I am not a proponent of towing over rating, but I used a 5.3/6sp/3.08 to move my trailer a couple of times. The moving was between 10 and 50 miles. It was not fast off the line, but it worked.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Knminton
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Wishin. That's exactly what I was looking for. Mine has the 2-speed transfer case.
Kerry - 40
DW - 39
DS - 13
DS - 5
DD - 4
DD - 3
DD - 7 mos.

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
From the GM order guide: HD Trailering Package includes (GU6) 3.42 Axle Ratio, (JL1) Trailerbrake controller, (Z85) Suspension Package and includes (NQH)transfer case, active, 2-speed with 4WD model

The HD cooling for oil and trans are listed as standard.

2015 Order Guide

What transfer case do you have? I'm not sure if the 2-speed is more heavy duty?

Also, the Z85 suspension is higher rated, not sure how much, plus it has air load leveling. "Suspension Package, Standard, increased capacity, Premium SmoothRide with Air leveler 1 - Included and only available with (NHT) HD Trailering Package."
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
When I was single without a worry in the world I would over tow all day. I have, as much as twice the trucks GVW.

Now that I have a family I would get a new Tow Vehicle. You can, and people do make there trucks tow more than GVW every day. Safety is number 1, and if you have an SUV I am sure you have passengers.

Now that being said, I have a 59 chevy I have pulled over 10K LBS. GVW 5K. From California to Oklahoma. Video below.

I installed a good trans cooler, brake controller, wiring, sway control. And I have 3.38 Gears. Pulled the 3.90 So I could go 55MPH.

https://youtu.be/_cNYP2aY19Q

Hard to give advise when I have broken the rules ( I was younger ). But that's my experience. Take it for what its worth.

Knminton
Explorer
Explorer
After researching, I have the external transmission cooler (KNP), and HD engine oil cooler, upgraded radiator and fans (KC4), even though I don't have the HDT (K5L). I have confirmed all of these coong components I have are from the K5L HDT package. The only items I don't have from the HDT are the gears and IBC. Not sure why anyone would take all of the cooling options and not take the gears. I couldn't care less about the IBC as I will just add a P3. Thanks for the input.
Kerry - 40
DW - 39
DS - 13
DS - 5
DD - 4
DD - 3
DD - 7 mos.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
If you can upgrade the cooling system you should be good to go. That is necessary. Upgrading the gears is the nice to have.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Knminton wrote:
Ok, thanks guys. That solves that one. I assume there is no way to change the gearing without modifying the PCM?

You can, but engine RPMs will be totally different with lower gears, and it will for sure throw off the speedometer, and might cause other anomalies since the engine is at a higher RPM for a given road speed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Knminton
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at my RPO Codes, our Yukon XL has an interesting mix of towing features...maybe they are standard? We have the 3.08's (GU4), Rear locker (G80), heavy duty engine oil cooler (KC4), external tranny cooler (KNP), and HD trailer provisions (Z82), but no Heavy Duty trailer package (K5L). Does anyone know if the only thing I am missing is the 3.42 and IBC options? Or would there be several varieties of the oils and tranny coolers?
Kerry - 40
DW - 39
DS - 13
DS - 5
DD - 4
DD - 3
DD - 7 mos.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
The 3.08 gearing isn't that bad, better than the older 4-spds with 4.10 axle.
If GM offered the 3.08 gear with HD trans cooler the tow rating would be around 7500 pounds vs. the 8000 for 3.42. I think if you add that, use tow/haul mode, limit to 4th gear max you'll find 5000-ish pounds dry just fine. All for under $200 instead of losing $10k on a less than 1 year old vehicle.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Knminton
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Knminton wrote:
The Yukon XL is the GMC version of the Suburban. As opposed to the Yukon which is the sister of the Tahoe.
I should of seen you had the XL, my bad.

It's all good. Thanks for all the input guys.
Kerry - 40
DW - 39
DS - 13
DS - 5
DD - 4
DD - 3
DD - 7 mos.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Knminton wrote:
The Yukon XL is the GMC version of the Suburban. As opposed to the Yukon which is the sister of the Tahoe.
I should of seen you had the XL, my bad.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Knminton wrote:
I have a couple of hybrids looking at if I need to stay stock. I will likely go back to Plan A which was to pickup either and Excursion or a 2008-2013 Suburban 2500. Leaning greatly towards the Burb at this point.
Sounds like a good plan and would make towing a lot more pleasant. If you can find a 8.1 Burb they make a heck of a good tow vehicle.

Knminton
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of hybrids looking at if I need to stay stock. I will likely go back to Plan A which was to pickup either and Excursion or a 2008-2013 Suburban 2500. Leaning greatly towards the Burb at this point.
Kerry - 40
DW - 39
DS - 13
DS - 5
DD - 4
DD - 3
DD - 7 mos.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You could make it work with 3.08s but it will be sluggish. Upgrading the gearing would be a big help, but also a big expense. CAI and exhaust is pointless unless you go all the way and do the headers as well. In most cases the cost will far exceed the benefit.

IMHO a tranny cooler should be the first thing you do.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley