cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Dodge 3500 dually wide fenders

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new 2016 Dodge 3500 dually to replace the old reliable 1997. Question is the new trucks bed is very wide from the front all the way to the rear "outside", before I order new mounts attempting to install our 2014 Palimino Real Lite 1806 does anyone have pictures or experience with clearance due to the side access door / wings at the rear?
51 REPLIES 51

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer

just wasted another hour attempting to add pictures, anybody know an easy way?

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
I received a cad drawing of the wings and came up with a plan on how to modify them for the required fender clearance only to run into another obstacle. The bed opening tapers in at the bottom and will not allow clearance for the side bump out where the grey and black water tanks are located

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
another option. measure bed of truck, from front where camper bumpers hit bed, to back edge of bed. Now transpose that measurement onto the truck camper.
How far forward of this mark does your wings go?

Now try to transpose a mark onto truck body which indicates the front of wings. Measure width of truck body at this mark
(you might have to measure how far the bed sticks out at this point by visual drawing line to tape, or large square like for cutting drawall, etc).
Now compare it to inside measurement of wings. Will it fit?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
I have a 2015 ram Dually. here is a picture of what my wolf creak looks like on it. (i did it as a link because the picture is big).

I put in the picture using 360 high and 640 width.
big picture I wish I had a picture from the back. I recall you can get the fat part of your fist between the fender and fastgun on the rear.
also keep in mind your camper floor is 9' where mine is 8'-6" so that gives you even more room for your wing back there.

This has Torklift mounts. The rear mounts have pins through holes that allow them to stick out the most. I think when mounted in the inner location they will still not hit, but if camper shifts it might will hit. I think with my rear brackets on the inner holes (maybe even the outer holes) the fast guns are still in closer to the fenders, so you might fit.

I also wrapped pipe isolation around the bodies of the fast guns on the back because they do hit the fender when I open them them if I am not careful.

The dually brackets I used on front jacks are Rieco-Titan E-Z Swing Brackets. they look a whole lot stronger (and cost more), but after shopping around I found them for not much than the cheaper ones.

are both the old and new truck the same length bed? They do sell a rail that allows you to relocate the rear tie down mounts (I think it even says Dodge on the description) , but the guy at tweeties said he has not sold any of them in years because it was the 3rd or 4th gen dodge had the problem of wide fenders in the back.

first I would get the dually brackets, than back the truck under the camper and see how it works out.

I changed my Dually brackets by putting a block and jack under each front corner of the camper as I changed one at a time. my jacks don't all run the same speed, and I have seen the camper on 3 legs before so I figured using a jack and block would give enough support to install the hinge. Than on my jacks I can spin the motors so they fit in nice and tight when jacks are swung in.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 ram Dually. here is a picture of what my wolf creak looks like on it. (i did it as a link because the picture is big).
big picture I wish I had a picture from the back. I recall you can get the fat part of your fist between the fender and fastgun on the rear.
also keep in mind your camper floor is 9' where mine is 8'-6" so that gives you even more room for your wing back there.

This has Torklift mounts. The rear mounts have pins through holes that allow them to stick out the most. I think when mounted in the inner location they will still not hit, but if camper shifts it might will hit. I think with my rear brackets on the inner holes (maybe even the outer holes) the fast guns are still in closer to the fenders, so you might fit.

I also wrapped pipe isolation around the bodies of the fast guns on the back because they do hit the fender when I open them them if I am not careful.

The dually brackets I used on front jacks are Rieco-Titan E-Z Swing Brackets. they look a whole lot stronger (and cost more), but after shopping around I found them for not much than the cheaper ones.

are both the old and new truck the same length bed? They do sell a rail that allows you to relocate the rear tie down mounts (I think it even says Dodge on the description) , but the guy at tweeties said he has not sold any of them in years because it was the 3rd or 4th gen dodge had the problem of wide fenders in the back.

first I would get the dually brackets, than back the truck under the camper and see how it works out.

I changed my Dually brackets by putting a block and jack under each front corner of the camper as I changed one at a time. my jacks don't all run the same speed, and I have seen the camper on 3 legs before so I figured using a jack and block would give enough support to install the hinge. Than on my jacks I can spin the motors so they fit in nice and tight when jacks are swung in.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
I've wasted 45 minutes trying to add pictures using my iPad, I give up. More info, old truck was 1997 Dodge dually using torklift mounts, new truck is 2016 dodge dually using torklift mounts. Question is clearance between dully fender and side access doors located on rear sides of 2014 real lite model 1806. Looking for someone with experience or preferably pictures of their rig in this area. Have not attempted to load camper because measuring to the best of our ability says the fender and door / wing will make contact let alone no space for the tie down from the camper to the frame mount. No problem is expected with the front tie down to the frame mount

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just picked up our new 2016 Dodge 3500 dually to replace the old reliable 1997. Question is the new trucks bed is very wide from the front all the way to the rear "outside", before I order new mounts attempting to install our 2014 Palimino Real Lite 1806 does anyone have pictures or experience with clearance due to the side access door / wings at the rear?

You will need dually brackets for the camper's front jacks. The clearance between fender and jacks can be as little as an inch or even less. Are you using Torklift tiedowns? Pictures of the camper would help.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.