cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Dodge 3500 dually wide fenders

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new 2016 Dodge 3500 dually to replace the old reliable 1997. Question is the new trucks bed is very wide from the front all the way to the rear "outside", before I order new mounts attempting to install our 2014 Palimino Real Lite 1806 does anyone have pictures or experience with clearance due to the side access door / wings at the rear?
51 REPLIES 51

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so glad to find out that your camper finally was able to fit on your truck however your post makes me very nervous because we just ordered the 2016 short bed drw mega cab. We have a 2015 arctic fox 811 camper ! I don't know how we can measure to see if this would be a problem for us also . Does anyone else have this set up and have any modifications needed to be made ? I called the Arctic Fox manufacture and he hadn't heard of any problems but what can I measure to be sure ? Thanks

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Recieved and installed the replacement units from torklift today. The new style clamps around the frame on both the left and right sides as opposed to the old style where you fished the bolt through the frame with a wire. everything went together in about a half an hour.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, passenger side front

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem on my late 2015.
they sent just the RF. (I still have old one) The new one clamps over the frame instead of bolting into current holes with the "fishing wire"
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Update, received my torklift mounts and they did not fit. A call to torklift has a replacement set on their way. Excellent customer service. The units I received had the box dated 5/24/2014 by the bar code and they have apparently been redesigned using the same part numbers. The frame holes on the 2016 Dodge have been moved approximately 1/2" up. So if you order a set check the manufacturer date by the bar code on the box. Note only the passenger side front mount was incorrect. The drivers side front and both rears fit correctly.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
We look forward to the photos of the solution.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

tjhjunior
Explorer
Explorer
That is great news. Nice work!

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
I got the camper set in the truck today. Fits like a pair of skinny jeans but it fit. Ended up trimming 6" off the side wings for fender clearance and most importantly learned a lesson. I had been focusing on the tailgate opening width at the bottom, which is the narrowest point. After factoring in the thickness of the rubber bed mat combined with the 1" rails below the camper it raised the camper up enough to gain 1 " of clearance for the tank bump out. I also will need to relocate the rear tiedown point back to clear the fenders. A sigh of relief and lower blood pressure today.

tjhjunior
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much! I will also look at my "wings" area too as you have pointed out.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have not give up on the project yet. Winter finally showed up and I sprained my wrist slowing me down. Latest plan is to install to the right wheel well and attempt to massage clearance at the left rear pinch point. My camper has 1" square aluminum frame with aluminum sheet covering the tank bump out. Any alterations to this area doesn't appear to be structural to the main frame. As soon as I get two hands back in operation I'm going to test fit my options. I have to be somewhat sure before biting the bullet to modify the camper. I will still need to remove 6" from both rear wings to clear the fenders. The frame in the wings is also just 1" aluminum tubing, should be an easy fix. Anyway I will post my end result for you.

tjhjunior
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I may be running into the same issue but I have a couple of questions.

I have the same type of basement kickout on the left side of my palomino HS 2911 and I can just get it to clear my inside rear fender bracing on the left side. I actually load the camper slightly caddy corner on a diagonal so that the camper is closer to the right side wheel well on my 2010 ford f350 dually.

It appears that the dodge has an extra half inch between the wheel wells, and in theory you could cheat the camper to the right side wheel well but you may well be limited in the right rear by the right rear fender bracing that widens at the base. it may be worth a try to see with a of good flashlight what is going to be the primary impediment.

Our Palomino has two 3 inch bumpers at the very front of the camper which keep it slightly back from the "headboard" of the pickup bed. This may be of no consequence to keeping the camper kickout behind the bed a bit in your case.

Lastly, I am very interested in the results of this topic because I plan to order a ram 3500 with the Hemi because I want to have the great pyload it offers. However, I don't want to require myself to get a new camper just because the truck does'nt fit the camper. I know it may sound extreme to some, but I may make an appointment with a body shop and take a test drive of a new ram dually straight over there. I don't imagine it would cost too much to cut the inside portion of the base of the broadened strut, and just welding a flat piece of plate to box it in. Reinforce it if you like with a forward facing angle tab, etc. Prime it, spray in bedliner, and call it good. Just a thought and I'll let you know what I find out. There lots of smart folks and techs out there that can help us solve problems like these. thanks, Terry

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I do recall some 3rd gen Dodge D series (1970's) running around with the tailgates removed and bed sides would flop from side to side without the tailgate latch holding them square to the bed 😞
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
They are steel and one piece on the Ram.

That may be the reason for the taper on a dually. Extra bracing for the bed sides.

Good point. Hadn't thought about needing to carry the extra weight of the larger fender.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
pretty sure mine are steel fenders. one piece, not stuck on after thoughts like I have seen in past.
2022 Ford F150