cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Highlander brake controller question

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if a 2016 Toyota Highlander with a factory tow pkg. has a wiring plug-in under the dash for a brake controller?
Thanks,
Steve
16 REPLIES 16

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
found the invoice for my 2011 Highlander. towing package included:
heavy duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200 watt fan coupling transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150 amp alternator and prewired harness.
did NOT include receiver and required one more wire to be run to rear for brake controller.
so nothing really related to "strength", just longevity.
bumpy

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
I agree cool. The factory "tow pkg." should include the hitch and the combo plugins like the Tundra and Tacoma.
I will be pulling a small travel trailer weighing about 3k empty, and likely 4K with all my junk.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It's been awhile but IIRC, there is a "t" in the back of the Highlander to accommodate trailer wiring. I'd check the owner's manual.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
My HL has the OE receiver and 4-prong, but pretty much worthless. 7-prong should be OE if they want to call it a trailer package.

that depends on what type of trailer they are talking about. I have towed boat trailers with the 4 prong connector for many years. with the RF brake control a 4 prong might work also.
bumpy

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
My HL has the OE receiver and 4-prong, but pretty much worthless. 7-prong should be OE if they want to call it a trailer package.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. That's why sites this one is so important to people like me who are rv beginners.
Very helpful....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Steve 911 wrote:
recently my Toyota dealer install a hitch appropriate to make the Highlander's tow rating, including a 4 pin plugin and a 7 pin plugin. I still need to run a line from the battery to that 7 pin plugin, and install a brake controller..

Which demonstrates how little vehicle dealers know about towing recreational trailers and what's required for doing so, for if they did they'd have installed that charge line while they were at it. :S You won't be towing without a brake controller either so why wasn't that done as well? :h Let's hope nothing else was missed. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
recently my Toyota dealer install a hitch appropriate to make the Highlander's tow rating, including a 4 pin plugin and a 7 pin plugin. I still need to run a line from the battery to that 7 pin plugin, and install a brake controller..

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Steve 911 wrote:
Im considering getting a Prodigy RF. Just not sure about reliability...

do you have the tail/brake light device already installed? if you do the RF would make life a little easier. I almost went that route when I was having a heck of a time finding the hookup behind the left kick panel.

bumpy

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
I know..I need to poop or get off the pot and make a decision...lol

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Steve 911 wrote:

We've already been through this with you in this recent thread ... not much more that can be said. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 required them to run an additional wire which they hadn't counted on in their estimate. ๐Ÿ™‚
now be prepared to be sassed at by those who think you need a F-550 to tow a 17 ft TT.
bumpy

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I couldn't find any info from Toyota sites.