Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 Chevy as tow vehicle

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I'm looking at a 2017 Chevy Silverado half ton with a 5.3L engine and 3:32 ratio rear axle and 37k miles. I know it has plenty of pulling power for what I need but will it be a dependable vehicle? It has the Active Fuel management which I'm a bit leary of. Is this system reliable? Seems a little clunky to me. I'd like to hear from those of you who have actual ownership experience with and especially those of you who have been towing with one.

Thanks
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
21 REPLIES 21

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
wtmtnhiker wrote:
I'm towing a Grand Design Imagine GVW under 7K and it's a 4:42 ratio

What is 4:42?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Please recheck the axle ratio. If you are able to look at the sticker in the glove box for RPO codes, look for GU4 or GU6 which are most common.

The 5.3L has been around for over 20 years with refinements over the years. There are plenty of them with over 300k miles. GM's small blocks are some of the most reliable and cheap to maintain of any engines.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow with my 2011 Tahoe with the same 6 speed trans and 3:08 gears. Does great. My 5.3 has the AFM (or DOD, itโ€™s the same thing) and it works great. We are nearing 140k. I run fully synthetic oil only and I change the oil when the OLM gets to 50% because I tow a lot. (My camper and my father in laws big pontoon boat)

3:27 would pull better than my 3:08 but with the 6 speed my 3:08โ€™s do great.

My TT is 7,000 ish lbs loaded and 11 ft 2 Inches tall.

Trans temps rarely top 180ยฐ and pulls like itโ€™s on rails. Love my Chevy.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a Grand Design Imagine GVW under 7K and it's a 4:42 ratio
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone thought to ask the OP what he's towing with it? Anyway, he's asking about dependability, not towing capacity. If he's pulling a Scamp or an Airstream Bambi, we'll look pretty silly giving him towing advice!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Is the active fuel managment the cylinder shut off thing to meet the mpg requirements? If so , i didnt like it. I had a 2012 sierra, with the same engine maybe better gear ratio. And max tow package. Problem was that ot took time for the computer to activate the engine when you stepped on the gas. Not too much of a concern driving but towing was a pita on the highway. Maybe the bugs were worked out by 2017. Otherwise the truck was great and smooth. I got a 2500 this year.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really not a towing vehicle, more like a grocery getter. High axle ratio will indicate a lower towing capacity.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore