cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Ford Expedition Max

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Yukon XL Denali. My wife drives it in winter, and we use it to tow our 7000 pound boat on trips we also take the RV (pulled by my truck).

We have had the Yukon for a little over 3 years, and never really fell in love with it. For a top of the line model, the interior seems cheap, and it has more rattles than any vehicle I have ever owned.

My plan was to keep it for another couple years, hope something new came out that really blew our socks off.

Recently, we have had a couple minor issues with it. Nothing huge, but enough that my wife wants to accelerate the replacement schedule.

My preference right now (other than sticking to my original plan) would be to get another Denali. But Ford has some REALLY aggressive rebates going, so that is the direction I am leaning.

So question is, are there members here that have a new Ex? Are you happy with it? I've read a few reviews that state the towing manners are superior to the GM's, do you feel the same way?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
7 REPLIES 7

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ktosv wrote:
Have you driven one and compared it to your Yukon XL?

From my signature, you can see I have the latest Suburban. Previously we had a 2012 Yukon XL and my impression is the interior is far better, but some of the fit and finish lacks what goes into a BMW. We never had a problem with squeak or rattles in the Yukon XL and it had over 125k miles when we replaced it with the Suburban.

I have driven several Expeditions as rentals with work. My impression is that the Expedition has very sensitive steering and it felt like I was constantly correcting the steering. This got very fatiguing on a 2000 mile road trip. At the end of that trip I couldn’t wait to turn that one in. The last one I rented was a 2019 Max in January of this year. Still has the same steering feeling to me. Honestly, I was underwhelmed with the Ecoboost in it. I guess I was expecting more apparent superiority over my 5.3L. I have also driven F150’s with the Ecoboost that performed better in my opinion. I don’t know how the ride that I experience would do towing. Coworkers who have also driven the Expedition have said the same thing.

I've driven the Ex three times. Once as a rental for a couple days, and then test drives of two different vehicles. While the Ex is a much more "truck like" driving experience than the GM versions, I did not notice what you mention on the steering. I'll try to pay attention to that the next time I test drive.

I will agree with you on the engine power - the first test drive I did was underwhelming. Not that it was weak, but it wasn't nearly as strong as I expected. Seat of the pants, it really doesn't feel any stronger (maybe not as strong?) as my current 6.2. And I don't like the lack of exhaust note. But I have read enough reviews to know that it will perform well.

If I go with an Ex, it will largely be a decision based upon price/value. And the main reason I am not looking closer at the GMs, at least right now, is the fact that in order to get the 6.2, they make you get a top of the line vehicle, which moves new vehicles into a price range I am not interested in entering. Not sure why they do that, but it may cost them a sale here as I am not interested in a 5.3.

We leave on a long weekend at the lake tomorrow. When I come back, I'll put the current Yukon up for sale. Once it sells, I will get serious about the search. Might look at some 17 or 18 model Denali's. They will be better equipped, but at a price point similar, or maybe even higher, than a new Excursion, that is a trade off I am not sure I am willing to make.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Most of the trips with this as a tow vehicle are very lightly loaded. Only me and two dogs. Maybe a cooler. Everything else goes in the truck/RV. I can't imagine over loading with the current boat.

As far as the price going up with options, that is my struggle right now. I am used to ordering the top trim levels. The high rebates are only good for the XLT. Not that the XLT is a bad trim, but it doesn't compare to a Denali/Long Horn/Platinum.

I looked at one Ex today with the 202B package (leather, upgraded head unit), adaptive cruise and lane assist, along with the HD tow package. They are asking $49k after all the rebates. Going up one trim level gets you to the $65k range, which is much more than I want to spend.

Just not sure I will be happy with the XLT......

If you go for those bling trim levels, you'll be sacrificing payload capacity.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Have you driven one and compared it to your Yukon XL?

From my signature, you can see I have the latest Suburban. Previously we had a 2012 Yukon XL and my impression is the interior is far better, but some of the fit and finish lacks what goes into a BMW. We never had a problem with squeak or rattles in the Yukon XL and it had over 125k miles when we replaced it with the Suburban.

I have driven several Expeditions as rentals with work. My impression is that the Expedition has very sensitive steering and it felt like I was constantly correcting the steering. This got very fatiguing on a 2000 mile road trip. At the end of that trip I couldn’t wait to turn that one in. The last one I rented was a 2019 Max in January of this year. Still has the same steering feeling to me. Honestly, I was underwhelmed with the Ecoboost in it. I guess I was expecting more apparent superiority over my 5.3L. I have also driven F150’s with the Ecoboost that performed better in my opinion. I don’t know how the ride that I experience would do towing. Coworkers who have also driven the Expedition have said the same thing.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
My daughther's family has a 2012 Expedition El (that is what the Max was called back them). 5.4L and 5 speed. New ones have the 3.5L EcoBoost an 10 speed. Bth have been in the F150 for several years and are proven.

The trailer weight is under the limit. As long as you don't overload the cargo in the car, you will be good.

The price of the new ones goes up FAST when you add the fancy options.

Most of the trips with this as a tow vehicle are very lightly loaded. Only me and two dogs. Maybe a cooler. Everything else goes in the truck/RV. I can't imagine over loading with the current boat.

As far as the price going up with options, that is my struggle right now. I am used to ordering the top trim levels. The high rebates are only good for the XLT. Not that the XLT is a bad trim, but it doesn't compare to a Denali/Long Horn/Platinum.

I looked at one Ex today with the 202B package (leather, upgraded head unit), adaptive cruise and lane assist, along with the HD tow package. They are asking $49k after all the rebates. Going up one trim level gets you to the $65k range, which is much more than I want to spend.

Just not sure I will be happy with the XLT......

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My daughther's family has a 2012 Expedition El (that is what the Max was called back them). 5.4L and 5 speed. New ones have the 3.5L EcoBoost an 10 speed. Bth have been in the F150 for several years and are proven.

The trailer weight is under the limit. As long as you don't overload the cargo in the car, you will be good.

The price of the new ones goes up FAST when you add the fancy options.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:
Your wife (assume she drags the boat) will love the Ecoboost when she tows.

Other than that, I almost got one when I got ride of my F250 but opted for a GMC Canyon because I was afraid to ditch the truck bed. I loved how the Expedition drove and am leaning on trying to push my wife into one when we get rid of the AWD Sienna we have.

Thanks for the feedback.

That’s what I would have thought too (wife pulling boat). But she would rather pull the RV with the truck.

One of our complaints with the Yukon has always been stability while towing. I’m hoping the Ex addresses that.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Your wife (assume she drags the boat) will love the Ecoboost when she tows.

Other than that, I almost got one when I got ride of my F250 but opted for a GMC Canyon because I was afraid to ditch the truck bed. I loved how the Expedition drove and am leaning on trying to push my wife into one when we get rid of the AWD Sienna we have.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!