cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 evenings after work to put in 1 switch....

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a 3-position dual-function switch that when:
Up -- Inverter On/Converter off,
Down -- Converter on/ inverter off,
Or centered, both off - no inverter or converter.
I suppose I coulda just knocked this out during the better part of a day on a weekend, but did it after work over the last couple nights.

First - I don't have a fancy inverter set up with a remote switch option (or transfer switch or built in charger), so had to take it out and solder leads onto the circuit board at the existing switch, then add a disconnect plug.

Next, as with a lot of us, I have one of those all-in-one converter/fuse block/circuit breaker panels. I had identify, then splice the 110v feed wire to the converter so I can tap a switch inline to it.

Then the fun part - running the wires. And since I was at it and my inverter is next to my batteries, I ran a new, larger 8ga hot and ground wires to the 12v fuse panel. Why? The factory 12v feedwires consist of one single set of 12ga wires, and easily 30 feet long. Pump comes on, lights dim. Turn the stereo up, the lights dim with the music. That needed rectifying. So, since I was running a remote turn on wire and had to go right by the converter anyway, I ran 8ga wires. Running the wires took all of an entire night. What a pita....

So---
Since I don't have a transfer switch (yet), I gotta plug TC's pigtail into the inverter (and set the fridge to gas-only). Flip the switch inside, whole camper has power, and the converter is then disconnected thereby eliminating the inverter-converter loop. Before this, I had to flip the converter breaker off, so doing all this saved a whopping 1 step.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
1 REPLY 1

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like fun! ๐Ÿ˜„
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB