cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

99 S & S metal roof

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Repair wood underneath, and replace metal. Roof is sagging just a bit where the A/C sits. I am figuring that something is weakened, that I didn't see, and one of those bumps on our last trip did it in. Did a google search for metal roof replace, and didn't immediately find anything. (Usually that is the quick way I find stuff here.)

I figure I will get it all under cover, start pulling off stuff, and put a new roof on. And new wood underneath. Not going to be fun. Links to similar work would be appreciated.
2007 Dodge Ram QC 4x4 6.7 CTD 3500 SRW
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic
7 REPLIES 7

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Metal roof is aluminum. When I went up to tarp it (rain in the PNW, fancy that) I saw the roof is not bowed or sagging, so whatever is wrong is under. I won't be able to start on this until the end of August, but I will post pics of whatever I find.
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
K thanks
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
RideSlow wrote:
Jfet wrote:
I didn't know S&S used metal roof...interesting.

We built our custom truck camper's roof using 0.040 aluminum roof coil, which perhaps could be an option for you? It comes in 102" wide by whatever length you need and is not really expensive (maybe $11 to $13 a linear foot). We purchased it at a local commercial truck/trailer supply store.

Not sure what kind of metal it is. Just assumed some sort of tin, will magnet test tonight. I am just down the road from you, which supply house did you use?

I did a quick search through the receipts and can't find the one for the roof coil (there are around 300 so probably missed it). I think it was Western Trailer Supply in downtown Seattle.

RideSlow
Explorer
Explorer
Jfet wrote:

We built our custom truck camper's roof using 0.040 aluminum roof coil, which perhaps could be an option for you? It comes in 102" wide by whatever length you need and is not really expensive (maybe $11 to $13 a linear foot). We purchased it at a local commercial truck/trailer supply store.

Not sure what kind of metal it is. Just assumed some sort of tin, will magnet test tonight. I am just down the road from you, which supply house did you use?
2014 Stealth AK2612 TH
2004 HD Ultra Classic

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum roofs are actually better, as long as it's white or white coated
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Not specific to metal roofs but have read a few threads over time where AC condensation or improper flashing at time of AC install allowed moisture intrusion around the opening. End result was roof wood rot. I would take AC off first and see what you see.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk