cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A-frame bike rack ideas

smarty39
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for ideas/options for mounting a hitch receiver over top of the propane tanks so that I can use our hitch mounted bike rack. Anyone fabbed something like that up before?

I already made a slide-out, heavy duty rear bumper that carries a full size bbq so I really don't want to add anymore weight to the back of the trailer. I'm thinking something over top of the propane tanks up front would be ideal 😉
2012 Puma by Palomino 31DBTS
2007 6.0L F350 CrewCab
5 REPLIES 5

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
LJAZ wrote:
Stromberg Carlson makes exactly what you're describing. It's called a bike bunk and runs about $200 or so. Or if you're into fabbing it probably wouldn't be too hard for you to copy.

X2!

Found on Amazon HERE for $179

Pricey?

Yes, but no need for you to "reinvent the wheel" when it is ready to buy and bolt on.. By the time you buy the materials, cut, weld, bolt together you will nearly have the same amount in material and your time.. Almost not worth the effort to fab up a homemade version..

Doesn't seem bad at all, I spent that much for a front hitch and then another $140 for the bike carrier, though mine carries 4 bikes and had the advantage of returning some weight to the front wheels instead of adding more hitch weight to the rear.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
LJAZ wrote:
Stromberg Carlson makes exactly what you're describing. It's called a bike bunk and runs about $200 or so. Or if you're into fabbing it probably wouldn't be too hard for you to copy.

X2!

Pricey?

Yes, but no need for you to "reinvent the wheel" when it is ready to buy and bolt on.. By the time you buy the materials, cut, weld, bolt together you will nearly have the same amount in material and your time.. Almost not worth the effort to fab up a homemade version..

I don't have pictures, but I did a home built version out of steel I already had. Works great and cost nothing but time and paint.

I've also seen one that goes over your front jack. Not sure how strong it would be.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
LJAZ wrote:

X2!

Pricey?

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I opted for a front bumper hitch with a two inch receiver for my bike rack. It seemed easier than mounting the bikes over the LP tanks.

When not towing the bike rack goes in the back hitch receiver.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.