cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a frame pop ups,anyone have the a liner or similar.

tom311
Explorer
Explorer
thinking of an a liner or such camper that I can pull with 4 cylinder and wondering if there are problems with this type of camper.concerned of having leak.really wont use a lot and store inside but the driving rain while out concerns me so looking for some response on these a frames.best,lightest,etc.
7 REPLIES 7

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I stay nice and dry in my Aliner Sport. In fact we just spent nine days camping in it. We divided our time between Pigeon Forge and the Cades Cove area of GSMNP.

I am 6'1" and have no headroom problems. The floor area is in the center of the trailer and cabinets/bed are in the lower roofed areas.

Our Sport weighs 2,000# fully loaded and we tow with a 1.8L four cylinder @ 22 MPG average over nearly 20,000 miles now.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 Aliner LXE. I towed it with a 4 cyl car (a Chevy Cobalt) for over 40,000 miles. I now have a truck so I have retired my car from its towing duties as it now has 292,000 miles and the automatic tranny is acting up a little. I have a low walled model, but it's still so high at the peak inside that I can't reach the rook standing on my tiptoes - more headroom that anything else out there. When laying in my king bed next to the back ceiling panel there is still plenty of room. You just can't stand up in the bed by the sloping ceiling, but who would do that? In fact there is so much headroom that it never feels claustrophobic. Here's a pic of my DW and DDog on the bed:

The high walled models have even more headroom and another foot or so by the ceiling panels. My Aliner is a fully loaded model, with all the bells and whistles, but it still weighs in at around 1,700lbs fully loaded with water, gear, etc. No problem with leaks, but you will have to replace the sealing foam every few years, (a simple, peel and stick task) as nothing lasts forever. Of course every camper has seams that must be calked occasionally.

It is well insulated against temp extremes and noise (either coming in or going out) much more so than a tent camper. You feel more secure too, especially in bad weather. My DW refuses to camp in bear country in a tent camper, but feels safe and secure in the Aliner. Whether rational or not, it is what it is.

I'll be camping in it at Fall Creek Falls, SP in TN next week.

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

Wakita46
Explorer
Explorer
I've only had mine 2 years but I've slept in 12 states in it. Kept it up through 4 feet of snow last winter (2013 scout). Never had a leak. I am camping in NH right now - 20 feet from a bubbling brook.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We had an Aliner Classic, and other than having a slight vent leak (repaired under warranty by dealer), we never had any leaking problems, even in hard rain.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

lasttruck
Explorer
Explorer
Our Chalet has stayed dry while driving in heavy rain.

Head room has never been a problem in either one of ours. You need to step inside one and see for yourself.

For weight considerations, start with Aliner, then Chalet.
07 F150
10 Chalet XL1935
15 Fleetwood Brittany Park
Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website
Evergreen Coho SKP Park on Facebook

ElBesoBlanco
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in some heavy storms with my A-Frame and kept dry with no leaks. Aliner is your best choice for the lightest tow weight.as for head banging, never been an issue with my 6'2" spouse. DH says its a mental block to overcome. He used to think he'd bonk his head but never did. The bubble windows are high and prevent it....at least in our case. LoL
Greetings from eastern Washington!
2012 Flagstaff T12SDTH (Hardsided Toyhauler Pop Up)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been camping with my fabric tent bed ends since 2008 and have never had any rain problems. The ALINER is probably even better since its roof area plus the sides are metal verses tent fabric... I have only been inside a couple of ALINERS that was setup for sleeping and the main thing I would have against the ALINER would be the slanted ceiling inside. It sure is a head banger...

You should have all the comforts of home inside but will have less move around room than I have in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer which also has 12-foot box but the tent beds extend out over each end not taking up any of the inside floor space..

We have pulled our 0ff-Road POPUP trailer all over VA, eastern coast line, gulf coast line, Blue Ridge parkway, mtn camping sites in the north southern states and as far west as Okla and Texas.

Great camper and inexpensive to operate and support.
We love camping off the power grid areas more than at electric camp grounds.

Our camper in Wichita Mtns WildLife Refuge Medicine Park, OKKLA

I'm afraid my OFF-ROAD POPUP model is alot heavier than the ALINER would be. My trailer is around 4200lbs loaded up and I use a 2010 F150 Truck to tow it with...

Wouldn't have it any other way...

Just my thoughts here...
Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS