cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Rhino of course

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
This was supposed to be posted in the Getting around thread. OOPPS No Brain no Pain

Great timing for this thread. I just bought a 2006 street legal Rhino. The search for it's own trailer is on.

25 REPLIES 25

janesurzosky
Explorer
Explorer
Looking great. Loved it.

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
The Texan wrote:
dadwolf2 wrote:
mike mck wrote:
Jim
It's registered as a street legal OHV. Can be driven on city streets or off highway trails

In Arizona and possibly other states. It won't be street legal in Nevada....I wish it was.
Have you seen the "new" NV law NRS 490.105 that does allow you to drive a UTV on certain roads in most counties?

"Probably" not in Clark county (southern tip) where I live, because if it was I would see them on the roads. I've got several friends with RZR's who aren't driving them on the street... If these vehicles are truly street legal, wouldn't they be allowed in National Parks?

My point is, I don't want to spend $15-20K on a RZR to find out it can legally go some places and not other places. I'll get a Jeep and be 100% street legal.

Dad
The reason for buying these things is really not to drive on the street but off road. I have done plenty of off roading from 4x4 trucks to 69 Bronco and I can tell you the Rhino will go places the fullsize 4x4's would never go. If the plan is to drive on the street the Jeep is the far better choice. I bought mine to take with me while boondocking.
Mine will be used to explore trails and collect firewood or just haul my but to the lake or stream for some fishing. Once the TC is set up as Base camp.They are allowed in National parks but need to be licensed, registered and insured to be legal on the roads in the park.

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
dadwolf2 wrote:
mike mck wrote:
Jim
It's registered as a street legal OHV. Can be driven on city streets or off highway trails

In Arizona and possibly other states. It won't be street legal in Nevada....I wish it was.
Have you seen the "new" NV law NRS 490.105 that does allow you to drive a UTV on certain roads in most counties?

"Probably" not in Clark county (southern tip) where I live, because if it was I would see them on the roads. I've got several friends with RZR's who aren't driving them on the street... If these vehicles are truly street legal, wouldn't they be allowed in National Parks?

My point is, I don't want to spend $15-20K on a RZR to find out it can legally go some places and not other places. I'll get a Jeep and be 100% street legal.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
805gregg wrote:
Have you seen the RZR1000? If I wanted an off road rig I would look at them, I saw 1 at a gas station in Montana, the guy said it would do over 80 mph and had 18" of suspension travel

There are some amazing UtV's out there but they are $15K and up. I'm into mine $3K and 40MPH WOT is good for me.:)

The RZR1000 is close to $20K.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
Have you seen the RZR1000? If I wanted an off road rig I would look at them, I saw 1 at a gas station in Montana, the guy said it would do over 80 mph and had 18" of suspension travel

There are some amazing UtV's out there but they are $15K and up. I'm into mine $3K and 40MPH WOT is good for me.:)

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
mike mck wrote:
Jim

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
Jim

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Welcome to the Rhino ownership world. I picked up a brand new 2008 450 about 2 years ago. It had less than 5 hrs on the engine. Its got all the power I will ever need. Thing was brand new. I had this all aluminum trailer special made for it. Had electric brakes installed on it so I dont have to worry about the extra weight pushing against the rig. Storage box is for helmets, fuel, etc. I wanted something light so I could maneuver it around by hand and it works great. We've had ours out to Quartzsite a few times, Moab, and the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV, plus a bunch of other trail systems. More and more states are developing trail sanctioned areas for ATVs and UTVs.

Nice set up.
I went with a 450 also. top end of about 40mph but thats plenty for my needs. Will do anything the 660's will do except 65MPH.

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Just be careful if you are thinking that its street legal everywhere. To be street legal in many of the states it has to be fully equipped with many safety features that cars have but UTVs do not. Two things just off the top of my head are turn signals and a working horn. The normal registration that most states issue for UTVs is not going to cut mustard if you are seen riding on any major public road. To give you an example, we checked when we were in Utah with a Moab ranger. He told us that if its dirt, no problem, if its black top, you cannot ride. In Pennsylvania, all ATVs have to be registered just like a car, but if its a public road, you are not legal to ride any ATV or UTV on them. You can only ride on designated ATV trails and private property. All Im saying is you better check where ever you decide to ride or it could get expensive.

It has turn signals and a horn but I have no intention of driving it on the city streets. In AZ it is considered a motor cycle. Registered for the street to eliminate a possible problem on dirt roads getting from 1 trail to another.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haul my Rhino/generator extra propane and sometimes the Yamaha Grizzly 700 on this trailer.

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
Just be careful if you are thinking that its street legal everywhere. To be street legal in many of the states it has to be fully equipped with many safety features that cars have but UTVs do not. Two things just off the top of my head are turn signals and a working horn. The normal registration that most states issue for UTVs is not going to cut mustard if you are seen riding on any major public road. To give you an example, we checked when we were in Utah with a Moab ranger. He told us that if its dirt, no problem, if its black top, you cannot ride. In Pennsylvania, if its a public road, you are not legal to ride any ATV or UTV on them. You can only ride on designated ATV trails. All Im saying is you better check where ever you decide to ride or it could get expensive.
You got some very bad info from the so called Ranger. We ride UT all the time and on public paved streets all the time....check with the state ATV/UTV association, if you want the truth, as most Rangers and LEOs don't know the actual law, just the part they chose to enforce and that may not be the actual law.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Just be careful if you are thinking that its street legal everywhere. To be street legal in many of the states it has to be fully equipped with many safety features that cars have but UTVs do not. Two things just off the top of my head are turn signals and a working horn. The normal registration that most states issue for UTVs is not going to cut mustard if you are seen riding on any major public road. To give you an example, we checked when we were in Utah with a Moab ranger. He told us that if its dirt, no problem, if its black top, you cannot ride. In Pennsylvania, all ATVs have to be registered just like a car, but if its a public road, you are not legal to ride any ATV or UTV on them. You can only ride on designated ATV trails and private property. All Im saying is you better check where ever you decide to ride or it could get expensive.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Rhino ownership world. I picked up a brand new 2008 450 about 2 years ago. It had less than 5 hrs on the engine. Its got all the power I will ever need. Thing was brand new. I had this all aluminum trailer special made for it. Had electric brakes installed on it so I dont have to worry about the extra weight pushing against the rig. Storage box is for helmets, fuel, etc. I wanted something light so I could maneuver it around by hand and it works great. We've had ours out to Quartzsite a few times, Moab, and the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV, plus a bunch of other trail systems. More and more states are developing trail sanctioned areas for ATVs and UTVs.