cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC/DC inverter how does it work

dschallmo
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently renovating (Gutting) my trailer and putting it back together all new. I am in need of assistance when it comes to the inverter.

Being as I picked this trailer up second hand, I am unsure if it works or should be replaced. I look inside and see lots of rust on the coils.

Secondly where to I put the marine batteries? In front by the propane?

As far as wiring I understand that part.

is there a youtube video that also can give me assistance?

thanks
Dave
2 REPLIES 2

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is simplified electrical diagram of where things go for the 30A Electrical setup... As you can see the 120VAC and 12VDC Distribution Panels where the Circuit breakers and DC Fuses are all located is the hub. This is generally located in the cabinet that houses the converter/charger unit.

Might give you some help...

You might want to join the POPUPPORTAL FORUM more dedicated with the POPUP trailers. Lots of good info found there..

POPUPPORTAL

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Do not confuse inverters with converters.

Every rv has a converter, a few also have an inverter. A converter takes 120 volt AC "shore power" and makes the 12 volt DC needed to charge the battery and run the lights, 'fridge and furnace control boards. An inverter takes 12 volt DC and makes 120 volt AC for things that won't run off the batteries. The reason only a few rigs have inverters is that most people don't use 120 volt stuff unless hooked to shore power.

Batteries have to be either outside or very well vented to prevent buildup of explosive gas under certain circumstances. Usually folks put them on the tongue with the propane tanks, which also need to be outside.